The Ghan train will embark on a record-breaking journey this Sunday (22 May) when it departs Adelaide as Australia’s longest passenger train in over a decade.
Taking off with 44 carriages and two locomotives, Sunday’s Ghan service bound for Darwin will stretch a total length of 1096m – more than 200m longer than a standard Ghan service and a staggering 6.5 times the length of Adelaide Oval.
It will be the longest passenger train seen in Australia since the inaugural Adelaide to Darwin Ghan journey in 2004.
Great Southern Rail’s Director of Sales and Marketing Steve Kernaghan said the record-breaking length of The Ghan reflected increasing demand for rail holidays in Australia.
“The Ghan has enjoyed a surge in customer demand over the past 12 months thanks to our all-inclusive fares and new tour options in Alice Springs and Katherine,” he said.
“Amazing outback destinations are at the heart of The Ghan experience. We are very proud to be able to welcome thousands of travellers aboard this iconic train to share some incredible Australian experiences.”
The Ghan’s 22 May journey in numbers:
- 327 Platinum and Gold Service guests
- 44 carriages and two locomotives, including 22 guest carriages, six onboard restaurants carriages, five lounge carriages, crew carriages, powervans and luggage carriages
- The train will be split across 3 platforms at Adelaide Parklands Terminal to board the guests
- Total weight of 2156 tonnes
- 55 onboard crew members who, over the return journey, will:
- Make 1300 beds
- Serve 100kg of barramundi and 190kg of vegetables
- Cook more than 3000 eggs for breakfast
This Sunday’s Ghan service kicks off nine consecutive weeks of impressive kilometre-long trains departing Adelaide. The Ghan will take a record-breaking 5884 Platinum and Gold Service guests on this transcontinental journey between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin during this period.
The Ghan travels 2972km between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin over three days and two nights. A weekly service departing Adelaide on Sunday and Darwin on Wednesday, The Ghan takes holiday-makers to outback stops for Off Train Excursions at Alice Springs and Katherine.
The Ghan Timetable:
Depart Adelaide on Sunday 22 May at 12.15pm
Arrive Alice Springs on Monday 23 May at 1.45pm
Arrive Darwin on Tuesday 24 May at 5.30pm.