Home » Aviation »Headline News » Currently Reading:

All the latest on MH370, the books, the movies, the doco

May 24, 2014 Aviation, Headline News No Comments Email Email

egtmedia59The strangest mystery in the history of aviation, the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 with 239 people aboard in March this year, is headed for books, movies and TV.

The tragic story is open to any amount of dramatic interpretation. Nothing is known about what really happened, or the acts that brought the B777 down. As yet, nobody even knows where the plane is.

A movie about the plane tragedy – possibly two movies – should be in cinemas within months. A documentary on the mystery screened earlier this week on ABC1 TV in Australia.

The first book on the doomed airline, ‘Flight MH370: The Mystery’, went on sale earlier this week. It won’t be the last. Written by British author Nigel Cawthorne, ‘Flight MH370: The Mystery’ surmises that the plane was shot down by mistake during a US/Thai military exercise.

The deadly mistake may have been covered up because authorities wanted to avoid any retaliatory attacks, the book says.

Cawthorne cites the eyewitness account of New Zealand oil rig worker Mike McKay, who said he saw a ball of fire in the sky from the rig he was working on in the South China Sea in the early hours of 8 March. unnamed

“From when I first saw the burning (plane) until the flames went out (still at high altitude) was 10-15 seconds. There was no lateral movement, so it was either coming toward our location, stationary, or going away from our location,” McKay emailed his employers shortly after the incident.

A film about the missing flight is also in the works. Rupesh Paul Productions was recently promoting among buyers at the Cannes Film Festival ‘The Vanishing Act’, a movie based loosely on the plane tragedy, according to reports. Another film, or potential film, is also being touted.

A poster for the Rupesh Paul movie promises to tell “the untold story” of the missing plane – but the film is highly speculative and isn’t trying to be a documentary.

The top documentary on MH370 so far is an ABC1 Four Corners effort, screened earlier this week, which showed Malaysia’s Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein admitting that military planes were not sent to check on the unidentified plane when it appeared on their radar.

The defence minister made much sense.

“It was not hostile, it was commercial, it was from our airspace. We are not at war with anybody,” he said.

The truth is that nothing would have been gained by sending up fighter jets. They would hardly have shot the plane down and they would have had no more clue what MH370 was doing than anyone else.

The brother-in-law of Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah (MH370’s pilot) dismissed suggestions that the pilot was a political radical, or that his wife had confronted him over an illicit affair. You can watch that ABC1 documentary on the ABC’s iView online service (available until 9.30pm on 2 June 2014) on this link.

Perhaps the most radical theories on the disappearance of MH370 have emerged from former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad.

The former Malaysian prime minister, 88, said “someone is hiding something. It is not fair that MAS and Malaysia should take the blame”.

Mahathir suggested the US Central Intelligence Agency had knowledge of the disappearance of the plane but was not sharing it with Malaysia.

He also claimed that Boeing, which makes the B777, and “certain” government agencies, have the ability to remotely take over control of commercial airliners such as the missing Boeing 777.

Boeing did patent something along those lines a few years after the 9/11 attacks on New York, but denies ever installing the equipment on its planes. See: Is it possible to fly an aircraft from the ground?

“For some reason, the media will not print anything that involves Boeing or the CIA,” Mahathir said.

Meanwhile, returning to known facts, China is sending a ship to conduct a sea floor search for the wreckage of the missing plane as the second phase of efforts to find it ramps up.

In a statement the Joint Agency Coordination Centre in Canberra said:

  • Malaysian, Australian and Chinese authorities met over the weekend in Fremantle to discuss the bathymetric survey.
  • It was agreed that the Chinese survey ship Zhu Kezhen will conduct the bathymetric survey of the areas provided by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
  • Zhu Kezhen is scheduled to sail for the survey area on Wednesday, weather permitting.

Written by : Peter Needham

Comment on this Article:







Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership

ADVERTISEMENTS

Elite Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Premier Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Official Media Event Partner

ADVERTISEMENTS

Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication

ADVERTISEMENTS

GLOBAL TRAVEL MEDIA VIDEOS