From today, travel agents will be able to book clients on one of nine exciting new wine river cruises, available through luxury travel operator APT.
Some of the leading figures from the Australian wine industry have pledged to become ‘Wine Ambassadors’ for APT, hosting exclusive departures throughout Europe in 2016.
Travelling exclusively aboard APT’s new portfolio of Wine Cruises on the Danube, Douro, Mosel, Rhine, Rhône and Seine Rivers, these special hosts will oversee tastings of regional wines, host special dinners complemented with locally paired wines, lead excursions to wineries to meet local vintners, explain the nuances of traditional wine-making techniques and educate guests on European wine heritage and traditions.
Endorsed by Brand South Australia and Winestate Publishing, APT’s new Wine Ambassador program proudly welcomes Bruce Tyrrell (Tyrrell’s Wines), Thomas Keith Hardy (Thomas Hardy Wines), Cherry Stowman (Taylors Wines), Darren Davis and Amy White (Seppeltsfield, Aramis and Soul Growers), Nathan Waks (Kilikanoon Wines), Sarah and Sparky Marquis (Mollydooker Wines), John Tomich (Tomich Wines), Nick Haselgrove (Adelaide Winemakers) and Rob Moody (Somerled Wines) as inaugural members.
Each ambassador will bring with them a combination of their own wines to showcase to guests alongside local wineries located along the cruise itinerary.
The new Wine Ambassador program, and its associated wine cruises, is another example of APT’s commitment to innovation in the river cruise industry.
Bruce Tyrrell, Tyrrell’s Wines
Commenting on the new program, APT Chief Marketing Officer, Debra Fox, said, “We are delighted to have secured the support of some of Australia’s most outstanding wine experts to travel with our guests on these special river cruises. Together we are able to offer an unforgettable insight into the history and heritage of wine-making in the regions that our river cruises visit, providing the chance to taste the produce at source while being guided by some of the most outstanding vintners in Australia. These cruises will provide an excellent opportunity for agents to secure client bookings, especially so for special interest group bookings.”
Newly appointed APT Wine Ambassador and Managing Director of one oldest and most respected family-owned Australian Wine companies, Bruce Tyrrell, said, “Like Tyrrell’s Wines, APT is a long-established Australian family run company that leads the way in its field. When we were approached to work alongside other highly regarded Australian wine companies we saw a great opportunity. Every ambassador has a role to play in educating guests, who also happen to be their customers, on Australia’s outstanding wines and how as an industry we’ve taken some of the ancient wine-making techniques from Europe to really drive innovation on home soil. It’s a great project and one that I’m proud to be a part of.”
Every Wine Ambassador will travel with guests for the duration of their cruise.
Some of the highlights of the program include: a unique port tasting at Quinta do Seixo in Portugal; and in France, the chance to visit Château Smith Haut Lafitte in Cadillac, for a tour which includes a tasting of Sauternes’ world-famous dessert wines and in Saint-Émilion the opportunity to explore Cordeliers Cloister, including its remarkable network of cellars and tunnels that stretch for three kilometres under the town.
Guests will have a choice of nine all inclusive luxury APT Wine Cruises in 2016 as follows:
- 16-day Charms of Southern France from Arles to Lyon, hosted by Thomas Keith Hardy from Thomas Hardy Wines. Priced from $9,895 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 24 June 2016;
- 9-day Douro Delights from Porto to Madrid hosted by Darren Davis and Amy White from Seppeltsfield. Priced from $5,645 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 5 July 2016;
- 8-day Grand Bordeaux return journey from Bordeaux hosted by Cherry Stowman from Taylors Wines. Priced from $5,195 per person, twin share this cruise departs 8 July 2016;
- 15-day Magnificent Europe from Budapest to Amsterdam hosted by Nathan Waks from Kilikanoon Wines.Priced from $8,995 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 16 July 2016;
- 8-day Romantic Seine return journey from Paris with Sarah and Sparky Marquis from Mollydooker Wines.Priced from $4,695 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 22 July 2016;
- 8-day Rhône Treasures from Lyon to Arles hosted by John Tomich from Tomich Wines. Priced from $5,595 per person twin share, this cruise depart 29 July 2016;
- 8-day Rhône Treasures from Arles to Lyon hosted by Bruce Tyrrell from Tyrrell’s Wines. Priced from $5,795 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 5 August 2016;
- 8-day Rhône Treasures from Lyon to Arles hosted by Nick Haselgrove from Adelaide Winemakers. Priced from $5,595 per person, twin share this cruise departs 7 October 2016; and
- 15-day Magnificent Europe from Amsterdam to Budapest hosted by Rob Moody, Somerled Wines. Priced from $8,495 per person, twin share, this cruise departs 18 November 2016.
Karen Raffen CEO of Brand South Australia, which has worked closely with APT to help facilitate its Wine Ambassador program, said, “Pairing up Australia’s leading vintners with APT guests on these cruises offers an exceptional opportunity for travellers to learn more about both European and Australian wines. They can see, touch and taste the product, from the vine to the glass, when they are travelling. This in turn helps them to understand the providence of the wines that they might consume when they are back on home soil. This really is an exciting partnership, and with so many leading South Australian winemakers involved it’s one that we are delighted to support.”
APT’s luxury European river cruises are all inclusive and include all meals; complimentary beverages throughout; room service and butler service in select suites, all sightseeing and entertainment; and transfers, port charges and tipping. There is even a fleet of bicycles on board for guests to use at their leisure.