Audi Hamilton Island Race Week will set sail in just under three weeks, and in 2016 Australia’s favourite lifestyle event will again deliver the country’s best competitive sailing competition, along with a host of exceptionally stylish social events, set against the picturesque backdrop of the Great Barrier Reef.
Friday racing, AHIRW 2015, Audi Hamilton Island Race Week. Picture Craig Greenhill
From 20 – 27 August 2016, Hamilton Island, the jewel in the Whitsunday crown, will be buzzing with professional and amateur sailors, families, food lovers, wine connoisseurs, celebrities, style leaders and more.
Now in its 33rd year, Audi Hamilton Island Race Week once again sees German luxury carmaker, Audi, return as its principal partner, with the company now supporting the prominent event for 11 years.
For the first time in the history of the event, more than 240 boats have registered to compete, breaking the previous record of 227, while the impressive line-up of on-shore activities open to the general public, along with ticketed and invitation-only events, are receiving their final finishing touches ahead of the 20 August official opening.
More than 30 gleaming Audi vehicles, valued at over $3.4 million, are enroute to the island paradise, along with 3000 bottles of Piper and Charles Heidsieck champagne, 106,000 bottles of beer, 620 dozen oysters, 10 tonnes of ice, 800 punnets of strawberries and 540kg of coffee for the week.
“This years’ record fleet and impressive on-shore line up shows even after 32 years, Audi Hamilton Island Race Week continues to stand as Australia’s premier offshore regatta, and undoubtedly one of the best sailing events in the world,” said Hamilton Island CEO, Glenn Bourke.
“This year, we are celebrating 11 years of partnership with Hamilton Island. This long- term legacy is testament to our strong relationship and our shared goal of delivering Australia’s best lifestyle event,” said Andrew Doyle, Audi Australia’s Managing Director.
“Audi will again help to bring to life an extraordinary program of events in 2016, many of which feature our diverse portfolio of Audi ambassadors, including chefs Guillaume Brahimi, Matt Moran and Shannon Bennett along with Richard Roxburgh, Vincent Fantauzzo, Asher Keddie, Lisa Wilkinson, Sandra Sully, James Tobin and Darren Palmer,” added Mr Doyle.
The full schedule of 2016 Audi Hamilton Island Race Week activities can be viewed at hamiltonislandraceweek.com.au
Audi Hamilton Island Race Week Lifestyle Event Highlights:
Saturday 20th August
* Audi Ambassador and celebrity chef, Matt Moran will kick off opening weekend in style, hosting an exclusive dinner alongside fellow Ambassadors and friends Richard Roxburgh and Vincent Fantauzzo at coca chu, overlooking the stunning Catseye Beach.
Sunday 21st August
* The Wild Oats Ladies Lunch, hosted by special guest, Layne Beachley on Sunday 21st August will treat guests to a long lunch of South East Asian fare by chef Adam Woodfield superbly matched to Wild Oats wine.
* At sunset on Pebble Beach qualia, Audi and Hamilton Island will collaborate with award winning QAGOMA chef Josh Lopez, for a wanderlust inspired evening under the stars.
Monday 22nd August
* Paspaley’s Creative Director, Christine Salter will host a magical dinner at qualia’s Long Pavilion for guests to discover a ‘decade of designs’.
Tuesday 23rd August
* Hayden Cox, founder and director of global number one selling surfboard brand Haydenshapes Surfboards will host a star studded event at Pebble Beach qualia to launch his first book ‘New Wave Vision,’ which is centered around innovation, creation, design and business.
Wednesday 24th August
* Piper-Heidsieck will return to the island with a Cote d’Azur inspired champagne lunch curated by Audi Ambassador Guillaume Brahimi
* Audi’s Chief Driving Instructor, Steve Pizzati, will put all guests through their paces in the company’s brand new, innovative Audi A4. On the airport runway, Pizzati will offer an exciting opportunity to experience the brand’s newest models.
Thursday 25th August
* In an Audi Hamilton Island Race Week first, leading interior designer and Audi Ambassador Darren Palmer will create a magical setting at a secret location. To finish off the night, national Johnnie Walker and Classic Malts ambassador, Sean Baxter will lead a tasting of five premium whiskies that he has personally paired with handmade chocolate delicacies from Sydney based organic chocolatier Lixie.
Friday 26th August
* Paspaley will host the highly anticipated ‘White’ luncheon on the sands of Pebble Beach. The brand will also showcase their latest fine pearl jewellery collections at the Paspaley Boutique throughout Race Week.
* To round off the week, Audi Ambassador and acclaimed chef, Shannon Bennett will present an unforgettable evening of gastronomy as the grand finale event. Beginning at coca chu, guests will move down to Catseye Beach for a seated dinner complete with the main course cooked on fire pits, lighting up the beach and marking the end of the 2016 Audi Hamilton Island Race Week.
Other events throughout the week include the Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Bar at the Bommie Deck, Meet the Winemaker tasting sessions at One Tree Hill, the Eat Street Food Markets at the Marina, Tanqueray Garden Bar, Ketel One Bloody Mary Cart, Beachside Yoga, Tickertape Parade for Olympians, Audi Tug O’War, Audi Shuttle, Audi Outdoor Cinema and the annual Prix de Elegance.