New data released from global travel search engine Skyscanner has shown a surge in Aussies looking to travel to Game of Thrones film locations. Australians are hoping to take their love of the popular series one step further, with Skyscanner recording increases in Australian flight searches to five GoT film locations during the series 2014 air dates of April–June.
Aussies are keen to feed their hunger for GoT, with Skyscanner recording an increase in flight searches to the following GoT film locations during April-June 2014:
- Flight searches from Australia to Croatia saw a 16% increase while GoT was airing between April-June, followed by a 28% drop in searches to the destination in July, when the show was off-air
- Aussies were also looking to travel to Iceland between GoT’s air dates of April-June, with a 39% increase in flight searches. When the season came to a close, flight searches from Australia to Iceland drop by 11%
- Similarly, Aussies searching for travel to Malta increased by 39% between April-June and dropped off by 14% in July when the show was no longer on-air
- Season 4 of GoT also piqued Australians’ curiosity in Morocco, with a 19% increase in searches recorded for April-June, which was followed by a 14% drop when season 4 came to a close
- Northern Ireland was another GoT destination which received extra attention from Aussies, with a growth of 18%in flight searches recorded between April and June. These then dropped by 2% in July
With Season 5 of Game of Thrones premiering today Skyscanner is anticipating a new resurgence in Aussies interested in GoT inspired holidays. Fans of the series can easily plan for a vacation to their desired location with Skyscanner, which offers a global coverage of flights as well as hotel bookings and car hire options. Skyscanner has compiled a list of the Top Ten Game of Thrones film locations fans must visit and 38 amazing Game of Thrones locations: in pictures for GoT holiday inspiration.