Australians are the most prolific rule breakers on the ski slopes of Japan, and the most likely to need accident assistance as a result, with 89 per cent of search and rescue efforts spent on Aussies according to a new report.
Developed by INTAC,* a leading medical assistance service for travellers in Japan, in partnership with new travel insurance brand, World2Cover, the research shows that the lure of untouched snow on Japan’s famed slopes is proving too tempting for some visitors, with an increasing number of accidents occurring in prohibited areas.
According to the report, of those requiring assistance between December 2014 and April 2015, 69 cases were Australian. United Kingdom-locals were next in line with only four cases in this period.
Data from the popular Ikenodaira Onsen Ski Resort also reveals that between 1-3 January 2015 alone, the cost to customers requiring rescue assistance from prohibited areas was 3,245,000 JPY ($38,710 AUD). Indeed, while costs vary, recovery efforts can be billed at more than $1,100 AUD per hour:
|Sample Cost Breakdown:|
|One Ski Patrol||20,000||239|
|One Base Staff||5,000||60|
|One Back-Up Staff||10,000||119|
|One Snow Caterpillar||50,000||596|
To support the growing number of Australians heading to Japan for the coveted ski season between December and March/April, World2Cover has included a ski option in their recently launched, cost-competitive Top Cover policy.
Claudio Saita, Chief Operating Officer & Executive Director at Tokio Marine, the leading international provider behind World2Cover, said it is vital to check your insurer’s fine print before engaging in adventure activities overseas.
“Japan’s ski season is drawing nearer and we know it’s on the radar for many Aussie thrill-seekers. Obeying the slope rules and etiquette is really important for the safety of yourself and others, and equally you need to ensure that no matter what level of experience you have, you are adequately covered should anything go wrong,” he said.
World2Cover’s comprehensive cover is available with a 20 per cent discount until the end of November, offering:
- Unlimited medical and hospital cover when you are travelling overseas
- Unlimited cover for cancellation fees if the unexpected happens
- Market leading levels of cover for children and grandchildren under 25 when they are travelling with a family member who is a policy holder
- Optional extra ski insurance for those needing a little extra cover
- 24 hour emergency help anywhere in the world if things go wrong
- Repatriation of dependents independently if required
- New for old replacement of luggage
- A simple claims process with no complicated forms
- Multi-trip policies and loyalty discounts for your next trip
For more information or to book your Ski Japan travel insurance, visit www.world2cover.com.au.