New data released from global travel search engine Skyscanner has highlighted Australia’s 2015 top destinations for winter travel, revealing that Aussies are chasing summer’s warmth as the chill approaches.
While it is of no surprise that domestic travel remains the most popular choice, the list sees European countries like Italy, Germany and Ireland gaining increasing popularity amongst Aussies.
City-wise, Bali (16%), Rome (20%) and Athens (31%) also recorded significant growth in travel from the land down under. Winter breaks on the slopes are still popular amongst Aussies with Melbourne and Sydney remaining on the list.
Travel from Australian cities also revealed shifts in destination preferences:
– Travel from Sydney and Melbourne to Bali saw a 17% and 26% increase respectively
– Dublin and Honolulu are also becoming increasingly popular winter getaway destinations for Sydney-siders
– There’s a preference for even colder climates amongst Sydney-siders with 10% growth in travel to Melbourne
– Travel to from Melbourne to Athens (20%) and Rome (11%) recorded strong growth
– There was also a 70% increase in travel to Athens from Adelaide
– Adelaidians are also opting to travel further this winter, replacing Brisbane and Bangkok with Singapore (23% increase) and Rome (32% increase)
The week commencing 29 June was also the most popular week for Australian travel and with increasing travel to Italy, Skyscanner has shared tips to avoid the crowds in Rome and some of the best cafés to recharge when jetlag hits. For those wanting to hit the tarmac and feel the wind through their hair in the UK, Skyscanner has compiled a list of the ‘Top Ten UK Road Trips’ – attached.