The Avis Travel Agent Scholarship, the retail travel industry’s most prestigious award for customer service, has entered its 20th year with a search to find the 2016 recipient of the scholarship.
Agents have until 29 August 2016 to submit an application, with finalists announced on 26 September 2016.
The scholarship is open to any Australian leisure or corporate travel agent who can demonstrate that they consistently provide and understand the value of exceptional customer service. This year’s winner will receive an educational and travel-related prize package valued at more than AUD 40,000, including:
- Two return Qantas Airways Business Class tickets to New York.
- Six nights’ accommodation in Manhattan, seven days car rental from Avis and appointments with senior executives at Avis World Headquarters in New Jersey, with site visits to US travel agencies.
- A scholarship to study at Southern Cross University with financial support of up to AUD 8000 (subject to terms and conditions identified by Southern Cross University).
- 12 months’ individual membership of Cruise Lines International Association (Australasia) and two tickets to attend Cruise3sixty Australasia, to be held in Sydney in September 2017.
- A Polonious Resources Personal Profile, Feedback Session and on-call personal/professional coaching for 12 months.
- Two tickets to the 2017 National Travel Industry Awards Gala Dinner in Sydney (including return flights and overnight accommodation).
In addition, the winner will enjoy a one-year honorary position on the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board.
To apply, travel agents should access www.avisscholarship.com and register their details. Applicants then have until the close of business on 29 August 2016 to answer a selection of questions on their approach to customer service.
Avis Travel Industry Manager Russell Butler, who has overseen the scholarship since its inception, says the award program has touched thousands of lives.
Butler said yesterday that when the scholarship had started out, he thought it might continue for perhaps three or four years. Instead, it has developed into an industry institution – having now reached the big 20-year anniversary.
“Scholarship recipients have come from across the country, worked in the leisure and corporate areas, and held front-line and managerial roles,” Butler said.
“But this award was never created simply to recognise an elite group of winners. Our intention was to raise awareness of customer service excellence and ensure every consultant taking part benefited from a deeper understanding and appreciation of their own talents.
“The scholarship’s remarkable endurance, and the positive feedback we receive from applicants every year, shows that it has delivered on every level.”
This year’s finalists will receive return flights to Sydney and accommodation on 8 November 2016 to attend the final judging session at the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney. In addition, all finalists will receive a Personal Behavioural Profile and a consultation session with a Polonious Business Coach.
More information on the 2016 Scholarship: www.avisscholarship.com
2016 Avis Australia Travel Agent Scholarship – Key Dates
- Full written applications to be lodged by close of business 29 August 2016
- Finalists announced 26 September 2016
- Finalist judging day and winner announced 8 November 2016
Edited by Peter Needham