Bon Appetite! Australia’s Best Fine Dining Restaurants Named In Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for top restaurants around the world with New South Wales Muse Restaurant awarded top spot for Australia.
This year’s awards recognise 528 restaurants overall, including the top 25 fine dining in the world and dedicated lists for Asia, Canada, Europe, India, Mexico, South America, South Pacific, the U.K. and the U.S. This year, TripAdvisor has also awarded some of the best cheap eats dining establishments around the world. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for restaurants around the world, gathered over a 12-month period.
“The TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice list of restaurants sets out some of the world’s, and Australia’s most amazing fine-dining restaurants and budget eats as voted by our global community,” said Joanne Kershaw, TripAdvisor spokesperson. “Australians have had a lifelong love affair with food – whether it be fine dining, or cheap and cheerful – which is why this annual accolade is such a sought after recognition for operators, and foodies alike. There’s never been a better time to visit TripAdvisor and book to experience the best food as voted by you – both at home, and on your worldwide travels”
Supportive of these awards, Restaurant & Catering Industry Association (RCA) CEO John Hart commented: “It’s great to see a platform like TripAdvisor recognising the value of the consumer in determining the best places to eat and dine. The awards reinforce positive consumer feedback which is great for lifting a business’s profile and the morale of their staff – congratulations to all who made the list!”
Top 10 Fine Dining Restaurants in Australia
- Muse Restaurant – Pokolbin, New South Wales
Husband and wife team Troy and Megan Rhoades-Brown opened their restaurant in 2009 with the aim to offer a complete dining experience amongst the iconic plains of the Hunter Valley. The Contemporary Australian menu offers locally produced food that is simple yet exciting, without overcomplicating flavours. A TripAdvisor reviewer stated “We have been here many times and the food quality is consistently of outstanding quality. On our last visit we brought friends visiting from the US and they were similarly impressed. This is our favourite restaurant in the Hunter.”
- est. – Sydney, New South Wales
Chef Peter Doyle is renowned for his trademark contemporary Australian food, which is seasonally driven, uncluttered and executed with French-influenced precision. est. has been at the forefront of the Australian dining scene for one decade and is an experience not to be missed. Observed one TripAdvisor reviewer, “Est. is a refined restaurant and would highly recommend to anyone. The food is delicious and inventive, with an extensive wine list. The service was attentive, professional and discrete. Very enjoyable and a faultless evening.”
- Restaurant Botanica – Pokolbin, New South Wales
Restaurant Botanica’s modern Australian menu focuses on freshness and seasonality, with herbs and vegetables from the restaurants very own garden used throughout various dishes. The menu is complemented by an award winning wine list as well as stunning views that look out across a private vineyard to the Brokenback Mountain Range. “Best wine and dine experience in the hunter valley!! Fantastic service, wine and food combined with an excellent view” commented one TripAdvisor reviewer.
- Nobu Japanese Restaurant – Burswood, Perth
Recognised on a global scale, Nobu is known for its innovative new style Japanese cuisine. Chef Nobu Matsuhisa mixes traditional Japanese cuisine with South American flavours to create a unique dining experience that everyone can enjoy. One TripAdvisor reviewer said, “The food is fantastic. The best way to enjoy Nobu is to let the wait staff pick the dishes and then enjoy the experience. We have done this every time and it was amazing. Prices are reasonable for Perth and dishes are a good size and filling.”
- fermentAsian – Tanunda, South Australia
fermentAsian boasts a delicious Southeast Asian menu, using local and homegrown produce. The restaurant also boasts an extensive outstanding wine-list. A TripAdvisor reviewer raved, “Fantastic modern Vietnamese with one of the best wine lists in the region. fermentAsian is a restaurant that belongs in the big smoke, we had a wonderful night of dining.”
- Spirit House – Yandina, Queensland
Set in lush tropical gardens that boast waterfalls, tinkling wind chimes and a serene pond, the Spirit House is a delight for all senses. The award winning Thai flavours, natural surroundings and friendly staff will make this a dining experience like no other. A TripAdvisor reviewer commented, “From walking through the gates, meandering around the tranquil gardens to sitting in the most beautiful surrounds our day was elevated to next level when the food arrived. OMG taste explosion in our mouths! The wait staff are helpful, knowledgeable and provide great service. The food is presented beautifully but the flavour does all the talking.”
- Spice Bar – Mooloolaba, Queensland
Spice Bar boasts modern Asian fusion dishes and banquets. The restaurant boasts an open kitchen as well as exceptional views of the Pacific Ocean off Mooloolaba. “Anyone who is thinking of opening a restaurant needs to visit the “Spice Bar” as part of their business plan. Fabulous food, sensational service. Sorry there was not a rating button high enough,” praised a TripAdvisor reviewer.
- The Stunned Mullet – Port Macquarie, New South Wales
Located in the coastal town of Port Macquarie, The Stunned Mullet, delivers a relaxed Australian dining experience with exceptional locally-sourced food and wine. The restaurant’s key philosophy focuses on the importance of ingredients, sourcing only the freshest local produce and pairing these with international and innovative flavours. “We are from Sydney so whenever we come to Port Macquarie, this restaurant is a must! The toothfish alone is worth the visit. Yes it is expensive, but you’re paying for excellent fine dining! Every visit, never disappoints,” wrote a TripAdvisor reviewer.
- 9. Courgette Restaurant – Canberra, ACT
Owned by celebrated chef, James Mussillon, Courgette is a fine-dining restaurant known for its sophisticated ambience. The menus evolve from the bottom up, using fresh produce, and experimenting with adventurous sauces and dressings. A TripAdvisor reviewer raved, “What a fantastic meal. There were only four courses but the selection in the courses was terrific. Each course had enough food for you not to feel hungry. This type of food is what you would expect in one of Europe’s finest restaurants. The service was also of a very high standard”.
- Omeros Bros Seafood Restaurant – Main Beach, Gold Coast
Located on Marina Mirage’s boardwalk, Omeros Bros boasts a fresh Australian seafood menu with an extensive complementing wine list. The restaurant not only offers delicious food, but also spectacular Broadwater views. “We ate 3 times in this seafood restaurant, outside the terrace with a view over the harbour. Very, very good seafood, very nice staff and reasonably priced. If you are in Gold Coast this is the place to go,” one TripAdvisor reviewer commented.
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Restaurants in the World:
- Martin Berasategui – Lasarte, Spain
- Maison Lameloise – Chagny, France
- L’Auberge de l’Ill – Illhaeusern, France
- Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons – Great Milton, England
- Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890 – Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi, Italy
- Alinea – Chicago, Illinois
- Waterside Inn — Bray on Thames, England
- Voila Bistrot – Paraty, Brazil
- Adam’s – Birmingham, England
- Azurmendi Gastronomico – Larrabetzu, Spain
Australia’s Top 10 Cheap Eats Restaurants
- Bagus Cafe – Cairns, Queensland: This Cairns hotspot, set in a cool outdoor area, has some of the best Indonesian food in Queensland.
- Yellow Deli – Katoomba, New South Wales: Set in a quirky and cosy environment, Yellow Deli offers a variety of wholesome foods including fresh juices and salads.
- Mamak – Sydney, New South Wales: Named after the roadside stalls of Kuala Lumpur that peddle Indian Malay street food, Mamak is renowned for authentic, bold and traditional flavours with a smart and friendly service.
- Laksa King – Melbourne, Victoria: Established in 1998, Laksa King’s authentic Malaysian recipe dishes are created in the Laksa King kitchen daily from scratch.
- Ganbaranba – Cairns, Queensland: A modest place situated at Spence Street, Ganbaraba offers delicious Japanese delicacies like ramen, gyoza and donburi bowls.
- Warung Ade Indonesian Restaurant – Mandurah, Western Australia: Warung Ade is a local family business ran and managed by an Indonesian family. The menu boasts true Indonesian flavours using the finest local and imported ingredients.
- Shamrock Hotel – Hobart, Tasmania: A cosy little pub that provides cheap pub food amongst a great atmosphere.
- Surfers Paradise Life Saving Club – Gold Coast, Queensland: People love the all you can eat breakfast and the under $10 value meals.
- Surfers Sandbar – Gold Coast, Queensland: Good, honest food set in a superb location within Surfers Paradise.
- Shanghai Street Dumpling – Melbourne, Victoria: Popular for its dumplings and soups and exceptional service.
For the complete list of winners from the 2016 Travelers’ Choice Restaurants, as well as reviews and candid traveler photos, go to: www.tripadvisor.com.au/TravelersChoice-Restaurants.