Essential maintenance works on Brisbane Airport’s main runway 01/19 have been scheduled for early March to late September 2016. The multi million dollar project will be delivered during the night to minimise disruption to schedules.
When complete the works will deliver:
- A new blast protection and shoulder overlay to increase resistance against larger aircraft jet blast.
- Relocation of primary cable infrastructure outside of the blast protection zone to improve serviceability.
- Runway centre portion overlay to maintain current runway system operations.
- Repairs to concrete thresholds where aircraft enter and exit Runway 01/19.
- Repairs to Taxiway A7, and
- New line marking and landscaping.
Work will take place in stages and late at night.
Runway operations and closure times vary for each stage:
Stage 1 – 27 March to 8 May 2016: 2300hrs to 0500hrs – Runway to operate with a displaced threshold meaning that there is no impact to scheduled operations.
Stage 2 – 9 May to 31 July 2016: 0001hrs to 0500hrs – Full runway closure.
Stage 3 – 1 August to 30 September 2016: 0001hrs to 0500hrs – Full runway closure.
Changes to aircraft operations during this time are expected to have minimal impact on aircraft noise during the upgrades.
Brisbane Airprot Corporation (BAC) has been in close consultation with two international airlines which will temporarily adjust their schedules to allow the work to be carried out.
BAC successfully completed a similar Runway Overlay project in 2013.