To celebrate its 50th Anniversary, Butterfield & Robinson, the world’s premier active travel company, will travel back to 1966 to recreates its first ever cycling tour from Munich to Salzburg.
Abandoning the one-speed bikes in favour of a shiny new fleet of Bianchis and the student hostels for some of Europe’s most luxurious properties, the Munich to Salzburg Biking tour will capture the spirit of that first trip to Bavaria from the sweeping mountains, sparkling lakes and timbered houses.
Of course, no homage to the first-ever B&R trip would be complete without the first-ever B&R guides. On select departures, travellers can join B&R co-founders, George and Martha Butterfield or Sidney Robinson, as they once again guide groups through Bavaria – and complete a journey 50 years in the making.
Daily highlights of the six day Bavarian experience include:
- Day one:Guests will rendezvous in Munich and head south toward the Allgau plateau and the village of Endlhausen. Cycling through forests, fields and villages to Lake Tegern, where the group will board a private ferry and take in the Alpine surroundings from the water
- Day two:Cycle around Lake Tagern on the way to an organic cheese farm, where guests will stop for a tour and tasting
- Day three:Drive into Austria to the village of Soll, where travellers will embark on a cable car ride atop the Hohe Salve before walking to Gasthuette for a rustic alpine lunch
- Day four: Cable car to the top of the Kitzbuhler Horn for stunning views of the alps
- Day five:Cycle from the historic town centre of Berchtesgaden before setting off along the bike path to the town of Anif
- Day six:Day at leisure exploring Salzburg
Packages start at AUD$8,590 per person and includes:
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfast, four lunches and four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support vans
- All special events, private tours, guest experts and entrance fees
- Use of a customised hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
In addition to Munich to Salzburg Biking, B&R has dipped into its extensive archive to craft all new trips to destinations that have had the most profound impact over the company over the past 50 years. Trips include New Zealand Biking, Patagonia Walking, Bali Multi-Active and Santiago to Mendoza Biking with an additional slate of European adventures to be released in early 2016.