Centennial Parklands is industry-leading and award-winning in the outdoor nature-play scene, and now your children can be a part of this Australian-wide movement every school holidays.
CP Bush Rangers, Kids Vs Wild and Banksia Buddies are some of the Parklands’ nature play-based programs on offer every school holidays for children aged 2-13 years, which reconnects children with nature while having fun!
“Australia has one of the lowest rates of children engaging in outdoor play despite the fact that is well known to significantly increase wellbeing, improve symptoms of many learning disabilities, and hasten the development of language, comprehension, and innumerable other life skills,” said Jalyn Naysmith, Centennial Parklands Education Ranger.
“Our education mantra is to reconnect children and each other with the outdoors, and spark their love and appreciation of nature and being outdoors away from the TV and Playstation. These programs sell out every season because the kids love them and the parents experience the benefits they gain from them.”
Winter School Holiday Highlights
- CP Bush Rangers (Wed 1 and 8 July): Enjoy a full day of wildlife, bushcrafts, outdoor challenges, games and free play all in the great outdoors of Centennial Parklands. All programs are led by experienced staff who specialise in introducing nature and the outdoors to children in a safe, fun and challenging environment. Read more.
- Kids vs Wild (Tue 7 July): Firecraft is one of the first priorities of survival. Learn the art of lighting a fire from a spark without using a lighter or matches. Collect tinder and kindling bundles and then use a fire steel and friction to create a spark to get the fire started. Read more.
- Kids Big Fish (Tue 30 Jun, Thu 9 Jul): Carp are an aquatic pest species which degrade the quality of Parklands’ pond water. Volunteer anglers have been removing Carp in order to manage the population, but why should the adults have all the fun? Come along to a great family activity, be coached by “Tony the Fish Whisperer” and gain some valuable hands on fishing skills. Read more.
- Swamp Creatures (Thu 2 July): Lachlan Swamp and the Centennial Park ponds are teeming with millions of tiny, amazing animals, fish and microorganisms. Catch your own mini beasts and watch them swimming under the microscope. Hold a hermit crab, pat a stick insect or catch your own creepy crawly at an amazing bug hunt! Read more.
- Park Detectives: Forensics Fun (Mon 6 Jul): Crime scene investigation comes to Centennial Park! This forensic science workshop will intrigue budding super sleuths who enjoy their science mixed with a bit of drama. Get dressed in your forensic suit and follow the clues using real science. Read more.
Bookings for the Parklands’ winter school holiday programs is now open! Find out more: centennialparkands.com.au/