Coffee is not only a beverage, but also an art, and baristas are the interpreters of this art. Baristas make far more than a cup of coffee. They are building the culture of coffee and decorating our life. So, rather than say that baristas brew coffee, it is better to say that they engrave life.
Champion of 2015 China Barista Championship
The China Barista Championship is the only professional, systematically operated and international certificated coffee making contest in China. Shanghai UBM Sinoexpo International Exhibition Co., Ltd introduced the contest,authorized by the World Coffee Barista Championship, in 2003, and it highlights coffee production processes and technologies, committing to carry forward coffee culture, idea and careers. The concept has been praised and supported by Chinese companies in the coffee industry, and has became an incubator of a new generation of baristas in China.
Date and venue information:
August 5-7, 2015
Chengdu Century City International Convention & Exposition Center, Exhibition Hall 4
- The competition will be run with 4 sensory judges, 2 technical judges, and 1 head judge.
- Competitors will serve one beverage from all three categories of drinks (espresso, milk beverage, signature drink) to each of the four sensory judges, for a total of 12 drinks, during a period of fifteen minutes. The head judge may drink from any beverage served to the sensory judges.
- The competitor decides the order in which the drink categories are served; however, any category of drinks must be completed (e.g. all four single espressos are served) before a competitor may serve another category of drinks, otherwise he/she will be disqualified. Preparation and service of signature beverage elements are allowed at any time during the competition time.
- Within each category (espresso, milk beverage and signature drink), drinks may be served in any combination to judges (i.e. one at a time, two at a time, or all four simultaneously). Sensory judges will begin evaluating his/her drink as soon as it is served.
- All four drinks within each category must be prepared using the same coffee; however, the coffee used may change between categories. The four drinks of each category must contain the same ingredients and follow the same recipe as each other. Deliberately preparing and serving varied drinks within a category will result in a score of zero in Taste Balance for those drinks that deviate in recipe from the beverage that is served first.
- Competitors may produce as many drinks as they choose during the competition; however, only drinks served to the sensory judges will be evaluated.
For inquiries regarding this event, please contact: