FOR the 27th successive year, the night’s sky over Macau and its landmark Macau Tower will burst into a kaleidoscope of colours in an international contest which has brought success for Australia and won the hearts of admirers from around the globe.
Since the inaugural running of the spectacular Macau International Fireworks Display Contest, Australian teams have finished on the podium five times – first place in 1998, third in 2003, 2006, 2012 and 2014.
At last year’s challenge, the Skylighter Fireworks team, led by Brisbane’s Max Brunner, won bronze and much praise for its performance at a highly-charged carnival event which attracted invited teams from 10 countries.
“We were very pleased with the result,” an excited Max said on his return. “It was hard going – into the unknown. The different style of displays from around the world really impressed us.
“It was our first visit to Macau and throughout the stay nothing was too much of a problem for the hosts,” he said. “It was also nice to meet people from around the world who shared the same passion. “And the food in Macau was equally impressive.”
This year’s challenge – once again organised by the Macau Government Tourist Office – will burst into action during the Mid-Autumn Festival on the Saturdays of September 5, 12, 19 as well as Sunday, September 27 and Thursday October 1.
Howard & Sons Pyrotechnics (Displays) has been invited to wave the Australian flag while joining it will be teams from China, Portugal, Malaysia, Finland, Taiwan, Korea, Italy, France and Austria. The Australian team will meet last year’s champion country China on the final day, a day of much celebration as it will be China’s National Day.
MGTO director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes expressed her gratitude for the ardent support shown by the fireworks companies from across the globe “making the Macau International Fireworks Display Contest one of the most stunning events of the year”.
She also said: “To work in line with building Macau into a ‘World Centre of Tourism and Leisure’, Macau Government Tourist Office will continue to present more fascinating and diversified events for residents and visitors, combining different elements with tourism to attract visitors from around the world to experience Macau’s charm as a ‘city of events’.”
Helen Wong, general manager of the Macau Government Tourist Office (Australia and New Zealand), echoed the director’s views in saying it was a privilege to have a team invited from Australia.
“Our past success in this challenge and the positive views relayed by the visiting Australian competitors have gone a long way to highlighting Macau as an authentic holiday destination . . . for Australians,” she said. “We encourage more Australians to come in September to enjoy the Macau hospitality and support our team in its quest to win the annual spectacle.”