Consumer complaints about travel and tourism increased by almost 19% in New South Wales in the most recent fiscal year, according to a newly released list compiled by NSW Fair Trading.
The figures show 1674 complaints were received about matters relating to travel and tourism in the 2015-16 year. This caused the category to rise to eighth in the list of complaints, one place higher than the previous year, when 1410 complaints were received.
The only other category to move up a notch in the list was new cars.
The number of complaints to NSW Fair Trading about travel and tourism related matters jumped by 18.7%, more than double the average increase of 9% over all categories.
Fair Trading attributes the overall increase to consumers becoming savvier about their rights, but that does not explain the sudden increase in travel and tourism complaints.
In the 2015-16 Financial Year, 51,221 complaints were received overall.
As with last year, the most complained about industries were tenancy, rental bonds and residential parks, with over 4500 complaints, followed by appliances and whitegoods and used car sales.
The Fair Trading Commissioner, Rod Stowe, said it was important that consumers knew their rights and the appropriate course of action to take if they weren’t happy with the goods and services they purchased.
He encouraged people to make use of the advice and support provided by Fair Trading.
“If consumers have concerns that are not being met, Fair Trading intervention can help deliver a remedy,” Stowe said.
“Mediation from Fair Trading is completely free, our staff will work with traders and consumers to try and resolve disputes relating to most marketplace transactions.”
The release of annual complaint category statistics will be augmented later in the month with the publication of the first Complaints Register which will identify the most complained about traders in NSW.
Top 10 complaints in 2015/2016
- Tenancy/Bonds/Residential Parks (4584 complaints received)
- Electrical/Electronic/Whitegoods/Gas Appliances (3300 complaints received)
- Used Car (2773 complaints received)
- House Construction (2536 complaints received)
- Furniture/Furnishings/Manchester (2339 complaints received)
- Clothing/Footwear/Accessories/Jewellery (2265 complaints received)
- Travel/Tourism (1674 complaints received)
- Car repairs and maintenance (1478 complaints received)
- Property – Property – Purchase or Sale (1220 complaints received)
Written by Peter Needham