Cunard’s flagship liner Queen Mary 2 will set sail this month on her first voyage following an investment of around £90 million (approx AU$177 million) – one of the most significant refurbishments undertaken by the world’s most famous passenger shipping line.
The remastered liner will sail into Southampton today (local time) flanked by fleet royalty Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria, to be greeted by a host of high-profile guests. The vessel will then set sail for New York, continuing her schedule of iconic Transatlantic crossings.
The luxury liner has been lovingly remastered with new contemporary interior designs and guest experiences, many of which take inspiration from the original Queen Mary which launched at the height of the art-deco movement in the 1930s. Cunard’s investment, marking 80 years since the original liner launched, has ensured every detail from the carpets to the curtains recalls that iconic vessel which became a symbol of British elegance.
Australians will be able to see the newly remastered ship in local waters when she visits next February during her 2017 world voyage. Queen Mary 2’s time in Australia will include a memorable Royal Rendezvous with Queen Elizabeth in Sydney on February 25 as well as maiden visits to Tasmania and South Australia’s Kangaroo Island.
The liner’s remastering features:
- A redesign and refurbishment of the Queens Grill and Princess Grill suites and restaurants, as well as Britannia staterooms, the latter to be fully complete by the end of the year
- The addition of 30 further Britannia Club staterooms, 15 Britannia single staterooms and five Britannia inside staterooms
- A redesign of key public spaces and restaurants, including the transformation of the former Winter Garden into the Carinthia Lounge, the introduction of The Verandah as the ship’s new speciality restaurant, and the complete refresh and restructuring of the Kings Court, the ship’s popular buffet area
- Ten additional kennels, complete with Liverpool lamp post and New York fire hydrant to make dogs feel at home in the world’s only transatlantic kennel service
- A complete repaint of the ship exterior and significant technical enhancements and structural changes
Over one million hours has gone into the refurbishment over 25 days. During that time 55,200 square metres of luxurious new carpets (the equivalent of 10 football pitches) has been laid, 4000 new framed pictures have been brought onboard and over 15,000 litres of paint have been applied to the ship’s hull.
The essence of Queen Mary 2 lies in allowing guests to lose themselves in a world of glamour, timeless sophistication and luxury. Alongside brand new dining experiences, guests can sample the delights of the world’s finest wine cellar at sea, with a unique collection of 486 fine wines and a stunning collection of Ports, dating back to 1840. This modern icon also plays host to some of the finest quintessential British and international brands with an exclusive co-branded travel collection from Aspinal of London and sought after Cartier products available for guests to purchase whilst on board.
Cunard Senior Vice President Simon Palethorpe said: “Cunard’s passion for delivering a service and experience that both meets and exceeds guest’s expectations is transforming the way we travel by sea. Remastering Queen Mary 2 honours the heritage and iconic status of our magnificent ship to take our passengers forward into a new era of ocean travel.”