Today, Hilton (NYSE: HLT) announces that one of the most treasured landmarks in the Gateway City is the latest addition to Curio – A Collection by Hilton™, a global set of distinctive upscale and luxury hotels hand-picked for travelers seeking local discovery and authentic experiences.
Following a $40 million transformation, St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton offers business and leisure guests 539 luxurious rooms and suites in what was once the largest and most ornate railway terminal in the United States with some guest room floors designed and furnished with a railroad theme. Built in 1894 and converted to a hotel in 1985, the National Historic Landmark in downtown St. Louis is well-known for its iconic jewel – the massive Grand Hall, a lobby lounge area with 65-foot ornate vaulted ceilings on which a dazzling 3D light show is projected nightly.
“Across the Curio collection, we take pride in offering guests unique hotel experiences that exude local flavor so, we welcome the landmark St. Louis Union Station Hotel to Curio,” said Mark Nogal, global head, Curio – A Collection by Hilton. “With its luminescent Grand Hall and eclectic amenities, this iconic property allows guests to discover all St. Louis has to offer and enriches our growing global brand.”
Coinciding with the hotel’s opening is a St. Louis concert at the Peabody Opera House by Grammy-nominated recording artist Gavin DeGraw, who has penned a Local Guide about hot spots in St. Louis – including St. Louis Union Station – as part of the#CitiesbyCurio program.
The Hotel’s “Grand” Centerpiece
Built in 1894 of Indiana limestone and reminiscent of a French Castle, St. Louis Union Station retains many charming architectural features from its past, such as original mosaic tile work, the mysterious Romanesque “whispering arch” and the signature 280-foot clock tower. Its centerpiece is the historic Grand Hall, where guests can enjoy local craft beers and seasonally inspired small plate offerings beneath gold-leaf ceilings surrounded by Romanesque arches and stained glass windows.
Projected on the Grand Hall’s 65-foot tall ceilings and across the entire space, the nightly 3D light show is comprised of 30 vignettes, all stretching the barrier of creative design, innovation and story-telling. The first of its kind high-definition projection mapping experience in the United States, the award-winning extravaganza captivates guests of all ages via vignettes told though sound, music and cutting edge 3D animation.
Distinguished Dining, Elaborate Events
Culinary options abound at the AAA Four Diamond St. Louis Union Station Hotel:
- Station Grille – on the site of the station’s original restaurant operated by Fred Harvey, a legendary 18th century railroad dining magnate – continues a decades-long tradition of fine dining.
- Grand Hall offers a relaxing respite, with local micro-brews, craft ales and signature cocktails named for legendary railroad companies complementing the nightly light show which includes favorites such as the “Union Pacific” and “California Zephyr.”
- The Market houses a 1920’s-themed Starbucks designed with an ornate drinking fountain and fireplace dating to the building’s origins.
St. Louis Union Station can host conferences, conventions, exhibits, social galas and events of any size, thanks to 100,000 square feet of meeting space that includes the vast and historic Midway Hall and the glorious Regency Ballroom.
Amenities That Relax and Enthrall
Guests seeking exercise or relaxation while staying at St. Louis Union Station may:
- Enjoy the seasonal outdoor swimming pool and surrounding courtyard
- Work out in the 24-hour fitness center
- Take a leisurely stroll to numerous downtown attractions, restaurants, galleries and nightclubs – such as the Gateway Arch, Busch Stadium and Peabody Opera House
During the 2016 winter holiday season, Holidays at Union Station will feature 14 family attractions and experiences – including the Santa Express Train Ride – for one of the largest celebrations in the Midwest. Visit holidaysatunionstation.com for schedules and ticket ordering information.
In 2018, the property will also house the 75,000-square-foot St. Louis Aquarium, now under construction and set to feature thousands of exotic aquatic species. The aquarium will also host one of the largest shark collections in the Midwest and feature Shark Bridge which will suspend visitors just inches above the water.
“St. Louis Union Station perfectly blends sophisticated historical features with modern conveniences and family-friendly activities, for a hotel experience unlike any other,” said Steve O’Loughlin, president and COO, Lodging Hospitality Management, property owner. “We are delighted to join the Curio collection of hand-picked upscale and luxury hotels that blend authenticity with Hilton’s global reputation and award-winning services.”
St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton is part of Hilton HHonors, the award-winning guest-loyalty program for Hilton’s 13 distinct hotel brands. Guests are encouraged to participate in Hilton HHonors, Hilton’s free-to-join loyalty program. Hilton HHonors members who book directly with Hilton save time and money and gain instant access to the benefits they care about most, including:
- An additional 1,000 bonus points starting November 17 through March 13, 2017 to celebrate the hotel’s addition to the Curio collection. Gold and Diamond HHonors members staying at St. Louis Union Station will enjoy complimentary breakfast for up to two registered guests per room and space-available room upgrades.
- An exclusive member rate at more than 4,500 hotels worldwide
- Instant benefits, such as free Wi-Fi, the ability to earn and redeem Points for free nights as well as access to digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key
- Unforgettable, exclusive experiences, available via Points at HHonors.com/auctions, such as access to private concerts or sought-after events
Formerly a DoubleTree by Hilton hotel, St. Louis Union Station is owned and operated by Lodging Hospitality Management. St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton is located at 1820 Market Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63103. The hotel offers valet parking, and is just a short MetroLink rail system ride to Lambert International Airport and a variety of other destinations throughout the St. Louis area.
For more information, or to make a reservation, travelers can call +1 314-923-3970 or visit curio.com. Media may access additional information and high-resolution images of St. Louis Union Station Hotel at news.curio.com/stlouis.