Following significant and sustained efforts in corporate social responsibility, Dorsett Shepherds Bush is delighted to have been awarded the GTBS (Green Tourism Business Scheme) Gold Award.The hotel has been recognised for its efforts to promote sustainability within the industry and for implementing cost-saving practices that help the environment and ultimately improve the guest experience.
The Green Tourism Gold Award is the highest honour in The Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS), which is the largest and most established scheme of its type in the world. With over 2,300 members throughout the UK and Ireland, and over 850 members in Scotland, the GBTS is a well-recognised award whereby businesses and organisations are assessed by a qualified grading advisor against a set of criteria; covering a range of areas, from energy and water efficiency to waste management, biodiversity, community involvement and more. Businesses receive a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award based on their level of achievement with Dorsett Shepherds Bush receiving the highest accolade.
Committed to the implementation of proactive measures to help protect and care for the local and global environment, Dorsett Shepherds Bush takes sustainability seriously, which is reflected in the variety of ways it seeks to minimise the impact on the environment; including:
- Educating team members about how to create a greener world; including reducing pollution, encouraging recycling and sharing ways to preserve the environment
- Sponsoring a panda via WWF and a Eurasian Crane via the Wetland Centre
- Lowering water pressure to reduce waste
- Monitoring its CO2 output and lower heating settings
- Building bird and hedgehog houses to encourage wildlife
- Thoroughly assessing supplier’s green credentials
- Hosting various charity events
- Offering a hotel that is accessible
- Using and promoting hybrid taxis
- Switching to suppliers using organic and sustainable products
Hilary Cross, the General Manager of the Dorsett Shepherds Bush Hotel commented “It is a true honour to accept the Gold Award for Green Tourism Business Scheme on the hotel’s behalf. This accolade is a rewarding acknowledgment of the hotel team’s hard work to protect and preserve our environment; as a business we believe that it is essential to be eco-minded and we look forward to furthering our green credentials in 2016”.
More information on the categories and winners of the award can be found at www.green-tourism.com and further information on Dorsett Shepherds Bush can be found at www.dorsetthotels.com/shepherdsbush