Dubai has been named the World’s Leading Destination at the 22nd Annual World Travel Awards Grand Final, which was held at a gala event at Magazan Beach & Golf Resort in El Jadida, Morocco over the weekend.
The award acknowledges Dubai as a tourist destination that pushes the boundaries, offering visitors a world class experience in all aspects of their stay from the moment they arrive. Visitors can enjoy golden beaches, extraordinary shopping, dining and spectacular nightlife. The city is also famed for its unique experiences, offering visitors activities from indoor skiing, to shark diving in a shopping centre, desert camel rides and the chance to see the world’s tallest tower.
This is the third year in a row that Dubai has taken out first place as the World’s Leading Destination, and the fifth time the city has won the award in 19 years.
Suggested itinerary includes:
- Day One: Start your day at the Dubai Museum to capture the history of Dubai in pictures, artifacts and slideshows. Stop by the Arabian Tea House for refreshing mint lemonade before visiting the Majlis Gallery for a lesson in Middle Eastern art. From the old to the new – grab a taxi and head to Madinat Jumeirah, a modern take on an ancient Arab citadel. Start at the Madinat Souk and then hop on an abra to chart the meandering waterways of the Madinat and marvel at the splendid wind towers that rise ahead. Dine at any of the Madinat’s 44 elite eateries that offer stunning views of the graceful Burj Al Arab.
- Day Two: Begin the day with a splash at Wild Wadi, where 30 gravity-defying thrills await. After soaking in the exhilaration, take a taxi to the colossal The Dubai Mall. Being the world’s largest mall, visitors will have a never ending plethora of options at their fingertips. The Dubai Mall is also home to the 48m-glass tunnel of Dubai Aquarium. With 33,000 marine animals housed here, we guarantee this walk will be unlike any other. Next, take in the Burj Khalifa and ‘At the Top’ experience from the 124th floor of the world’s tallest building.
- Day Three: With year-round sunshine, it’s always beach weather in Dubai. While you can choose from over half-a-dozen sun-kissed spots, the beach at The Walk JBR is a treat. Laze at the shores or swim out to The Beach Waterpark for some action-filled fun. Have lunch here or make your way to the next stop of the day, Mall of the Emirates. Located in Mall of the Emirates Ski Dubai will take visitors from sand to snow – a transition that is only possible in Dubai. Ski Dubai offers a massive snow park, five ski runs and the Snow Bullet zip line. Alternatively, visitors can head outdoors and see the Arabian desert – a playground like no other. Go dune bashing, sand boarding or mount a camel for a leisurely sway through the sands. Just as the sun sets over the dunes, guests are led to a Bedouin-style camp where the revelry begins with captivating traditional dances and fire shows before a royal dinner of a mezze of dishes and flavours and a platter of succulent grilled whole lamb, chicken and kebabs.
- Day Four: Explore Dubai using the city’s amazing transport system. Disembark at the Gateway station at Palm Jumeirah where the Palm Monorail awaits you. The only one of its kind in the Middle East, the fully-automated, driverless monorail runs from the foot of the Palm Jumeirah to Atlantis The Palm. Home to Aquaventure waterpark and the magnificent tunnels of the Lost Chambers, guests have the opportunity to swim nose-to-nose with the resident dolphins. Visitors can then spend the afternoon at the Dubai Gold Souk – a labyrinth of covered walkways home to over 300 shops offering dazzling jewellery in gold, diamonds and silver. Here, pieces are sold by weight according to the current market price (displayed on boards around the souk) with an additional charge for workmanship. Don’t be shy of bargaining – you can easily walk away with a 30 per cent discount!
- Day Five: Experience Dubai from the sky with a 40 minute flight in a Cessna 208. Offering spectacular views of the Dubai Creek, Palm Jumeirah, Burj Al Arab, Burj Khalifa and The World islands amongst others, the flight is a once in a lifetime experience. No day of self-pampering is complete without a stop at the spa. We recommend the Talise Spa at Burj Al Arab. As the day comes to close, it’s time for one more ‘only-in-Dubai’ experience – the Culinary Flight at Burj Al Arab, which allows you to explore Burj Al Arab’s astounding repertoire of restaurants and bars, course by course. The journey begins 200m above sea level at Skyview Bar before moving on through five of the hotel’s most impressive dining venues. Prepare to be treated like royalty as each restaurant showcases its most sumptuous dishes in Al Muntaha, Al Iwan and Junsui. Next, a succulent main course awaits you at Al Mahara, and finally, a decadent dessert in the stunning atrium lounge Sahn Eddar, will put the finishing touches on an unforgettable culinary and holiday experience.