With the construction of the brand-new Christopher Columbus Suite, Eden Rock – St Barths, the legendary Oetker Collection hotel, is adding to its celebrated and iconic accommodations a spacious single-bedroom suite overlooking the very same stretch of ocean over which Columbus sailed when first he viewed the Rock and discovered the glittering island of St Barthelemy.From the generous space with its own independent bathroom and additional air-conditioned terrace, guests may enjoy endless views across the clear-blue ocean, tune into the state-of-the-art entertainment system, relax with butler-served sunset drinks & canapés and enjoy a romantic dinner on the private terrace.
A personal design project
Created by Eden Rock – St Barths owners David and Jane Matthews, The Christopher Columbus Suite was inspired by its namesake, the Italian explorerand navigator who sailed past the iconic rock in 1493 and discovered the island of St Barthelemy.
500 years later in 1994, while on a yachting trip with friends and sailing the same waters, David and Jane dropped anchor in the Bay of St Jean, caught sight of the Rock as the sun was setting and fell in love with the property, which they bought soon afterwards.
The family moved to St Barths on 29th August 1995, which a couple of days later was hit by hurricane Luis. The family took shelter in the same space that is now the brand-new Christopher Columbus suite. It is hoped that something of the same sense of thrill & adventure will also be discovered by guests when they gaze across the turquoise-blue waters from the spacious terrace.
Planning of the project lasted about two years and the construction & interior finishing took place during the past six months. No expense was spared to ensure that guests experience the ultimate in Caribbean luxury when staying within this unusually roomy one-bedroomed suite that is soperfectlysituated.
The Suite’s contemporary design furniture was selected by Jane Matthews and Eden Rock’s creative team, and boasts chic pieces by leading artists like Bergére Chairs and a Lutetia Sofa by Antonio Citterio, a Tufty Time Sofa and a Fat Chair by Patricia Urquiola, a Boboli Dining Table by Rodolfo Dordoni
Jane’s customary fine touch also is evident in the handpicking of materials and soft trim with detailed finishes complimenting the solid oak flooring and finest Carrara marble. Artwork by international artists graces the walls and forms the beginning of a rotating in-suite art exhibition programme. A freestanding Agape In-and-Out bathtub by Benedini is made entirely of white Exmer and possibly is the perfect place to soak after a day in the sun. A state-of-the-art entertainment system and a custom-made private bar stocked with fine wines and spirits all blend into the living room area, flowing out onto the remarkable terrace with ever-changing views over the perfectly azure-blue ocean stretching away on all three sides.
- Bespoke fixtures and fittings throughout
- Air-conditioned terrace with private dining for up to 6 guests
- An oversized and utterly decadent 220cm bed
- Panoramic living area
- Luxury Spa bathroom with Carrara marble and large feature bathtub within the suite bedroom
- A spacious walk-in dressing room with a make-up table
- Discreet service entrance
- Extensive private bar with premium spirits and wines
- State-of-the-art entertainment system
- Oak wooden floors throughout, cutting-edge art, contemporary designer furniture
- Connects via exterior terraces with the Howard Hughes Loft, the Greta Garbo Suite & De Haenen Suite to create the ultimate house on top of the rock for multiple guest occupancy, allowing for a shared experience amongst friends or family
- Floor area: 200 m2
- Rates : from 4000€ per night