Global Travel Media » Blog Archive » Electronic Travel Authorisation Now Required For Aussies Visiting Canada

Home » Destination North America » Currently Reading:

Electronic Travel Authorisation Now Required For Aussies Visiting Canada

November 16, 2016 Destination North America No Comments Email Email

unnamed-44Tweet: Travelling to Canada? Don’t forget to get your eTA before departure!   #eTACanada #ExploreCanada

Australian citizens visiting Canada now require an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before flying to Canada, with the easy online application process costing just $7 Canadian.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel, such as land and sea, have not changed.

The initiative, introduced by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, requires Australian travellers to apply online at and provide basic personal information similar to what is currently collected when they arrive in Canada.

The simple application process is convenient and paperless, with most eTAs approved within minutes. The eTA is electronically linked to the traveller’s passport and is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.

Dual Canadian citizens cannot apply for an eTA and will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight. Even if the Australian government needs them to enter and exit Australia using their Australian passport, they will still need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to Canada.


This means that people with dual Australian/Canadian citizenship must ensure they carry both passports when they travel.

Travellers born outside Canada to a parent who is Canadian, or those who are unsure about their status, can see Am I Canadian? to find out more.

To apply for a Canadian passport, follow these instructions:

  • If you have proof of Canadian citizenship
  • If you do not have proof of Canadian citizenship

Last minute eTA applications can be made on any device with an internet connection, including mobile phones. Most applicants can expect an email response within minutes of applying.

Travellers are urged to use the official website to register for an eTA. There have been reports of ‘scam’ websites charging up to $122 for the application.

Until January 31 2017, travellers with dual citizenship who do not have a valid Canadian passport but meet certain criteria may obtain special authorisation to travel on their other passport. Click HERE to find out if you’re eligible.

Comment on this Article:

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership


Elite Partnership Sponsors


Premier Partnership Sponsors


Official Media Event Partner


Global travel media endorses the following travel Publication