The Washington Auto Show®, the largest public show in Washington D.C., has announced the official lineup of entertainment and family attractions for the landmark 2017 event, marking 75 years of automotive innovation. Specialty brews, art exhibitions, games and contests, professional athletes, favorite children’s television characters, and the hottest cars on the market will be on show for guests at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center from January 27th to February 5th.
Celebrity Appearances: Attendees won’t want to miss the chance to meet some of today’s most exciting professional athletes:
- Trea Turner: Trea Turner brings a rare combination of elite speed, hitting skill, and power to the Washington Nationals, which sparked the team to a strong second-half run and a division title in 2016. He is the first rookie in 112 years to have a game with four hits, four runs scored, a home run, and two stolen bases. He also become the only rookie in MLB history (since 1900) to record at least 13 home runs, 33 stolen bases and an average of .340 or better in more than 73 games. After being drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates out of high school, he opted to attend North Carolina State where he led the nation in stolen bases as a freshman. As a junior, he was the 13thoverall pick in the draft by the San Diego Padres.
- Jordan Reed: Washington Redskins’ Pro Bowler tight end Jordan Reed was named one of NFL Top 100 Players in 2015, and Pro Bower in 2017. He entered the 2016 season with 14 starts in his first three NFL seasons, gaining 1,916 yards on 182 receptions with 14 receiving touchdowns from 2013-15. He is one of the league’s top emerging tight ends, setting Redskins records in receptions (87) and receiving yards (952) by a tight end in 2015. He was named to PFWA All-Rookie Team in 2013 after setting team records in receptions (45) and receiving yards (499). He led all Redskins players in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns in 2015, becoming the first Redskins tight end to lead the team in all three categories since Jean Fugett in 1977.
- WWE® Superstar Randy Orton®: Randy Orton was born a WWE® Superstar. From the moment he was hatched, The Viper walked among the ring’s most revered figures. His father is WWE® Hall of Famer “Cowboy” Bob Orton, his uncle Barry “Barry O” Orton and his grandfather, the late “The Big O,” Bob Orton Sr., all of whom are among the most fierce and rugged grapplers of their generations. You don’t get a name like The Apex Predator for being friendly, and Orton certainly does not play well with others. Friend and foe alike have felt the sting of his RKO or the boom of his dreaded punt, and well into his second decade as a WWE® Superstar, there’s no telling who comes next.
Ride and Drives: Show guests will have the opportunity to take an exciting test drive or ride-along in some of the hottest models featured at this year’s show:
- January 27th-February 5th: Ford and Toyota
- January 27th-31st: Kia, Mazda and Subaru
- February 1st-5th: BMW i3 Electric
Family Entertainment: Kids will be thrilled to meet characters from some of their favorite PBS Kids shows, including:
- Daniel Tiger and Katerina Kittycat from PBS Kids’ “Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood”
- Princess Pesto and other characters from PBS Kids’ “SuperWhy!”
- Maya and Miguel from PBS Kids’ “Maya & Miguel”
- Characters from PBS Kids’ “Nature Cat”, “Ready Jet Go!” and “Peg + Cat”
- “Art-of-Motion” Exhibition: The second annual “Art-of-Motion” exhibit, an avant-garde art experience produced by Automotive Rhythms, the trendsetting urban automotive media group, will feature more than 8,000-square-feet of experiential graphic backdrops consisting of motorcycles, autos, fashion and murals. A highly notable group of artists will showcase their live talents, including:
- Nationally celebrated painter, Edward Joseph (aka “Ed the Artist”), an abstract visualizer that specializes in lines that seek influence using shapes, forms, colors and textures.
- Shawn Mitchell Perkins (aka “SP the Plug”) will bring his style of abstract, graffiti and realism to the exhibit using mostly oil and some acrylic paint.
- Jamaal Newman aka (“Jamaal Lamaaj”) will offer his famed realism style for his creative works.
- Suite Nation will bring a cadre of creators for this monumental showcase.
- DC Cool Night: Guests at this year’s show won’t want to miss DC Cool Night, presented by The Washington Auto Show, The Washington Post and Destination D.C., from 6:00pm-9:00pm on Friday, February 3rd, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. One of the D.C. area’s top DJ’s, DJ Dimmy, will be on hand to rock the party, which will feature a cash bar with drink specials, a photo booth and more surprises. Bring yourself or a date or some friends for a great night of socializing, networking and sharing the dynamic atmosphere of D.C.
- Military Tribute Day, Presented by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: On Tuesday, January 31st, active-duty and retired military get free admission with proper identification. Among the day’s special features to celebrate our servicemen and women, the American Red Cross will bring service dogs trained to assist soldiers with PTSD and consumers can wrap care packages to be sent to combat soldiers. The children’s table will feature Star Wars Lego models for kids to play with.
- The “Jeep Refueling Station Featuring Samuel Adams
“The 2017 Washington Auto Show is a landmark event, celebrating 75 years of automotive innovation,” says Washington Auto Show Chairman Geoff Pohanka, “and we are bringing more surprises and entertainment to our guests than ever before. In addition to contests and great prizes, celebrity guests and Ride-and-Drives in some of the most innovative new vehicles at the show, we have added exciting family activities, events and entertainment to ensure an unforgettable time for car lovers of any age.”
The Washington Auto Show has become a beloved annual tradition among Washingtonians who marvel at the growing display of mobility technologies, exotics, stars and cars, interactive displays, contests and mascots. Hundreds of new vehicles and concepts from 38 domestic and import manufacturers will fill the Washington Convention Center with three levels of advanced exhibits. The event is open to the public January 27 to February 5. For the latest schedule and details about discounts through METRO along with special promotional prices for students, seniors and children, please visit The Washington Auto Show online at: www.washingtonautoshow.com.