As the 2016 Presidential Election wages on, Crystal Cruises presents several enlightening opportunities for inquisitive travelers to immerse themselves in the history of the United States and its patriotic milestones. Aboard Crystal Serenity’s 14-day journey from New York to Ft. Lauderdale (departing October 25), more than a dozen of the most significant sites in the American history books are showcased during comprehensive and informative Crystal Adventures. During calls to New York City; Baltimore, Maryland; Charleston, South Carolina; and Savannah, Georgia, guests can explore modern centers of legislature with visits to the U.S. Capitol and White House, as well as those of yesteryear, including Charleston’s Old Exchange, where George Washington greeted citizens and where the Declaration of Independence was first read.
Explore the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. Photo Credit: dreamstime
The luxury ship will spend the latter week of the voyage exploring Caribbean locales in Aruba, Willemstad, Dominican Republic and Grand Turk before returning stateside on November 8, just in time for Election Day.
“This year is a particularly intriguing time to visit the sites of some of the most pivotal points in our nation’s history,” says Crystal’s CEO and president, Edie Rodriguez. “With convenient domestic air travel for our North American guests, this voyage offers a wonderful glimpse into the beautiful locales that make America great.”
Visiting military training grounds and war memorials and walking in the footsteps of the American presidents – through the Revolutionary-era buildings that George Washington visited and the Capitol Building hallways – guests will gain profound perspective on the people and places that shaped the country’s history. American heritage excursions include:
Wartime points of prominence
- Baltimore’s Fort McHenry, where the War of 1812 saw a 25-hour battle with the British, from which the American flag emerged and inspired Francis Scott Key to pen the “The Star-Spangled Banner”;
- The battlefield at Gettysburg, where soldiers fought the largest battle in history on U.S. soil and considered the turning point of the Civil War; and
- Charleston’s Confederate submarine, the H.L. Hunley, which waged battle with the Union side at sea before sinking, only to be recovered in 2000.
- Arlington National Cemetery, where thousands of soldiers from the Civil War to present rest, as well as presidents, the crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger and other notable Americans; and
- The National Mall, where World War II and the Korean and Vietnam War memorials are housed.
- The Citadel, South Carolina’s famed military academy and alma mater of some of the country’s bravest heroes; and
- The Capitol Building in Washington D.C., plus stops at the White House, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials and Washington Monument.
On board, USA Today editor Owen Ullman will present dynamic interactive lectures, enlightening guests on his more than three decades as a correspondent covering the White House, foreign affairs, economics and political campaigns. Having interviewed five U.S. presidents, numerous foreign leaders and other major political and economic decision makers, Ullman has been one of the most influential journalists of this era.
Through August 31, all-inclusive “Book Now” cruise fares for the Colonial Charms & Idyllic Isles cruise start at $4,125 per person. The voyage is a Crystal Society-themed voyage, offering added savings, perks and celebrations for Crystal’s repeat guests. For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel agent, call 888.799.2437, or visitwww.crystalcruises.com.
Crystal Cruises is the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line™, having earned more “World’s Best” accolades than any other cruise line, hotel, or resort in history. Crystal Cruises has won “World’s Best Cruise Ship” in Condé Nast Traveler’s Reader Choice Awards for 22 years; been voted “World’s Best Large Ship Cruise Line” by Travel + Leisure readers for 20 years; and the “Best Luxury Cruise Line” by Virtuoso for two-consecutive years (2014 & 2015). In summer 2015, Crystal embarked on the most significant brand expansion in the history of luxury travel and hospitality, introducing three new classes of cruising – the recently launched Crystal Yacht Cruises (December 2015), Crystal River Cruises (July 2016), Crystal Exclusive Class Ocean Cruises (Fall 2019), Crystal Luxury Air (April 2016) and Crystal AirCruises (2017).