Finland celebrates 100 Years of Independence with Launch of Suomi Finland 100 Programme in Singapore
The Embassy of Finland today announced the launch of Suomi Finland 100 (SF100) in Singapore. 2017 will see the Centenary of Finland celebrated around the world to mark Finland as an independent nation. Events will be planned by Finnish Embassies, Finns living abroad, Finnish companies and local partners.
In Singapore, the SF100 programme has been tailored around four key themes to promote current trends and local interests. Healthcare and wellbeing, Education, Innovation and Design partnerships and events are at the core of Singapore’s SF100 programme.
Recognizing the impact of an ageing population, the importance of technology and digitization to Singaporean’s everyday lives, and the investment opportunities in Singapore’s start-up culture, SF100 aims to embrace these issues and reinforce the synergies between the two countries.
“We’re excited to be following in Singapore’s footsteps after the tremendous SG50 celebrations last year. 2017 will see Finland celebrate a century of independence and continuous democracy and the programme in Singapore aims to strengthen ties between Singaporeans and Finns in business, investments, travel and culture,” said the Ambassador of Finland, Singapore HE Paula Parviainen. “It will be a year when “Arctic meets Tropic” in many ways. We see many similarities between our two countries, most notably our population sizes, rapidly ageing population, excellence in education and design embedded in everything – both Helsinki and Singapore are recognised UNESCO cities of design – and hope SF100 will provide a successful platform for collaboration around our core themes and calendar of events.”
Highlights of the 2017 SF100 programme include:
- 15th – 20th January, Global Young Scientist Summit GYSS A reception to showcase the Millenium Technology Prize to the international science and research community gathered in Singapore for the GYSS. SF100 brings together Finnish and Singaporean scientists and researchers during GYSS, a global gathering of PhD students and post-doctoral fellows, with eminent international science and technology leaders as speakers.
- March Inclusive Service Design for Health SF100 organizes a collection of design activities and workshops for design professionals and industry representatives in conjunction with the Singapore Design week.
- 25th – 27th April Ageing Asia & Ageing Week SF100 joins Ageing Asia, an annual event to promote active ageing and wellbeing of the seniors.
- September SLUSH Singapore and Women in Tech SF100 cooperates with SLUSH to bring the Finland born, Europe’s biggest start up event SLUSH to Singapore for a second year in a row. Women in Tech inspires more women to be tech founders and entrepreneurs and encourages more girls to the STEMs.
- September Education summit Insights into the 21st century skills required by children of today and how to remain relevant for jobs of tomorrow – a Finnish perspective.
- 12 – 15th October Finnish Film Festival at Projector This inaugural Finnish Film Festival brings together a hand-picked selection of best oldies and soulful newbies of Finnish cinema, featuring the most up-to-date documentaries, from Arctic reality to Nordic fiction.
- November- December Thematic Finland Fridays Organized at “Huone”, a Finnish event rooms-only hotel concept at Clarke Quay.
- December 6th, 2017 Grand celebration of Independence brings together all friends of Finland in Singapore.
The official launch of SF100 and its social channels is being celebrated and showcased at the Ambassador of Finland’s Residence with event partners, organisers and Friends of Finland enjoying a truly Finnish food experience prepared by visiting chefs, Helena Saine-Laitinen and Marita Joutjärvi.