Shanghai has been called the Paris of the Orient, and this fall, the city reclaims that moniker with a series of international art exhibitions. Fall is the perfect time to visit Shanghai, as the hot summer days melt into glorious autumn afternoons. Come be inspired by classic and contemporary art, and stay at Four Seasons Hotel Pudong, Shanghai to see a special exhibit available only to Four Seasons guests.
Become an Expert in Contemporary Art
In 2014, two curators set out to answer a simple question: what kind of art is being made today? The culmination of two years of research, studio visits and interviews, OVERPOP attempts to answer this question by creating a “cross-cultural curatorial conversation” between two experts on contemporary art: Jeffery Deitch, the former Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles who first brought Andy Warhol’s work to China in 1982, and British art critic Karen Smith, who specialises in Chinese contemporary art. The curators set out to define what this moment in contemporary art is – if we call art that repurposed iconic images in the 50s and 60s “pop art,” how will future art historians characterise work being produced today? The exhibit, which features pieces from 17 eastern and western artists, explores their findings.
- Dates: September 4, 2016 – January 15, 2017, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Venue: Yuz Museum, 35 Fenggu Road
- Tickets: Free
- Transportation: Take Metro Line 2 from Dongchang Road (a 5 minute walk from the Hotel) to Jiangsu Road, transfer to Line 11, and take Line 11 to Yunjing Road.
Monet’s Impressionism follows an ambitious concept undertaken by last year’s successful Van Gogh Alive: a fully digital exhibition. The exhibit displays almost 400 high-resolution digitised masterpieces, as well as recreations of the Rouen Cathedral and the famous water lily pond. It’s a chance to see a huge collection of the artist’s work, along with 3-D renderings of some of the places that inspired his creations.
Exhibition: Monet’s Impressionism
- Dates: September 15, 2016 – December 25, 2016, 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Venue: Hesheng International Plaza
- Tickets: CNY 70-210
- Transportation: Take Metro Line 2 from Dongchang Road (a 5 minute walk from the Hotel) to East Nanjing Road, transfer to Line 10, and take Line 10 to Wujiaochang.
Beam Me Up Scotty!
If Dad’s not up for spending the day in art museums, drop him off at every Trekkie’s dream: a 50th anniversary retrospective of Star Trek. He’ll find replicas of the Enterprise command centre, props, costumes and even a VR headset that lets him travel through space. More diehard fans can snap a selfie sitting on the Klingon Emperor’s Throne or do a green-screen photo shoot that lets visitors put themselves anywhere in the Star Trek universe. What better place to brush up on your Klingon?
Exhibition: Star Trek 50th Anniversary Exhibition
- Dates: September 1, 2016 – October 25, 2016, 10:30 am – 8:30 pm
- Venue: Hongqiao Arts Center, 201 Chengjiaqiao Zhi Road
- Tickets: CNY 80 (single), CNY 200 (family)
- Transportation: Take Metro Line 2 from Dongchang Road (a 5 minute walk from the Hotel) to Hongqiao Terminal 2, transfer to Line 10, and take Line 10 to Hongqiao West Transportation Center.
From Berlin to Shanghai: Kiki Kausch
Renowned German photographer Kiki Kausch rose to prominence when, while working as a journalist, she had the opportunity to photograph designer Karl Lagerfeld. Since then, she’s taken portraits of Hollywood legends including Michael Douglas, Ben Stiller, Cameron Diaz and Kevin Costner.Four Seasons guests with Executive Clubaccess can enjoy a special exhibit of the photographer’s work in the Executive Center.