A Facebook post by an aggrieved Qantas passenger, stung by a very high fare for a domestic flight, has touched a nerve, with over 400 replies expressing support and about 4000 ‘likes’ and ‘loves’.
Kyle Keighery had to pay AUD 850 for a one-way ticket from Mt Isa to Townsville, when the two north Queensland towns are only 780 kilometres apart. For comparison, Sydney to Brisbane is roughly the same distance and you can fly that for AUD 90 or less if you shop around.
Here’s Kyle Keighery’s post, which triggered an avalanche of support from Facebook readers, many of whom feel ripped-off:
I am in the process of booking a flight from Mount Isa Queensland, to Townsville, also located in Queensland.
I thought I would do you a favour in reporting that there may be a error in your booking system.
You see, when I enter the flight path it tries to tell me it will cost $850 one way. Surely this is incorrect……
You can almost get a return flight to LA, in the USA for that price, return! Phuket, Bali, New Zealand, you name it, its cheaper. You also may have noticed these are international flights.
What further makes me think this is wrong is the fact that you claim to be, “Qantas, the spirit of Australia”…. I don’t see much spirit here, unless of corse your in the spirit of ripping people off whilst making it near impossible for families to, “remain connected”, or “bringing families together”, yet another slogan of yours.
I do hope the lotto lady gets my numbers correct sooner rather than later so I can happily pay your premium prices, but for now, ill just remain disgusted.
Hundreds of people posted their own experiences in response. The feeling that domestic fares are grossly excessive, particularly to country and outback regions, comes through loud and clear.
Here’s a sample:
- No wonder people take their tourism out of Australia!!!
- I have had my Frequent Flyer points taken off me because I have flown with them for 18 months. I have not been able to fly but that is another story. Absolutely no understanding from Qantas they don’t deserve loyal customers.
- Paid $4000 for 5 of us to fly to Townsville 2 Brisbane 2 Sydney and return 3 days later. We could of all flown to Bali for ten days in top notch accommodation and return!
- We flew Mildura – Melbourne- Brisbane – Mt Isa return to visit family earlier in the year. The Brisbane- Mt Isa leg was more expensive than Mildura-Melb-Brisbane. And that’s a family of 5. We could have gone to Europe!
- I asked for a quote to upgrade a flight from London to Sydney as a surprise for my husband and the quote was $24000. Seriously!!!!
- Yep home of qantas Longreach to Brisbane $470 one way it is a joke and always has been
- I lived in Mt Isa and the air fares with Qantas is disgusting. When I was there in 2005 I flew to Brisbane and my sisters flew from Melbourne, with both their fares it was still cheaper than my single fare. Why is that do the people that are living there have to pay so much. Get another airline in.
- Time Qantas took a long hard look at their fare structure. We are in Melbourne, my husband’s family are in Mt Isa. We are 4 adult fares. There is a family wedding later this month in Mt Isa. My husband is the only one of us going, simply cannot afford the ticket price.
- Yep and they wonder why people don’t want to stay in regional areas. Ridiculous!! #shame #shame
- They are cancelling flights from Hervey Bay to Sydney cause minimal people fly to and from. I wonder why. The prices are friggen ridiculous!! Make it cheaper and I bet they would have full planes …
You can read the rest of them here: https://www.facebook.com/Qantas/posts/10153868966032686#
Written by Peter Needham