Inspirational stories about daring business plans, resilience in the face of adversity and perceptive analysis will inspire around 250 people along the path of innovation at the inaugural News Corp Australia Tourism Innovation Conference in Cairns tomorrow (November 6).
Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ) Chief Executive Officer Alex de Waal said the conference’s 15 speakers including media personality James O’Loghlin, social commentator Bernard Salt and Dr Karl Kruszelnicki would contribute to a compelling agenda aimed at developing business excellence.
“This conference was conceived by the tourism industry in Tropical North Queensland, a region that was battered by economic and weather conditions beyond our control for a number of years before we took a proactive approach and devised strategies to ensure we would not be susceptible again.
“Today, we remain the region’s leading industry and are growing as visitor arrivals and expenditure increase, but we know we can never be complacent or our competitors will leave us behind.
“We organised this conference incorporating some of Australia’s top speakers so all businesses can join us in understanding the culture of innovation and using it to be a business success story in 2016 and beyond.”
The full line-up of speakers:
- Conference facilitator – media personality James O’Loghlin
- Opening keynote – social commentator Bernard Salt
- Closing keynote – Dr Karl Kruszelnicki
Business Panel Speakers
- Harvey Lister, Chairman and Chief Executive of AEG Ogden
- Gillian Saunders, Global leader for the hospitality and tourism industry and head of advisory services for Grant Thornton South Africa
- Ken Chapman, CEO of Skyrail-ITM and a director of the Chapman Group
- Keith De Lacy, former Queensland Treasurer and business identity
Concurrent Session Speakers
- Digital innovation for the digital savvy – Donna Moritz, founder of Socially Sorted
- Digital innovation for beginners – Sean Blocksidge from The Margaret River Discovery Co
- Distributor innovation – Simon McGrath, Accor Pacific Chief Operating Officer
- Leadership & Management innovation – Darren Ramia-Topp, NeuroPower Group
- Product Development innovation – Ian Balme, from Forgotten World Adventures New Zealand
- Financial Management innovation – Alex Gelman, Partner for Grant Thornton Australia’s Technology Advisory and Solutions offering
- Marketing innovation – Rebecca Derrington, SourceBottle founder
- Technology, Marketing and Strategy innovation – Rod Mewing, Business and Enterprise Marketing, Telstra
Following the News Corp Australia Tourism innovation Conference speakers and delegates will network at the Intrust Super Tourism Industry Excellence Cocktail Event.
The proud sponsors are: Conference naming rights sponsor News Corp Australia, keynote speaker sponsor James Cook University and Ergon Energy, Concurrent Session Leadership and Management sponsor Central Queensland University, Concurrent Session Digital Innovation for the Digital Savvy sponsor Grant Thornton, Concurrent Session Financial Management Innovation and Product Development Innovation sponsor Department of Tourism, Major Events Small Business and the Commonwealth Games, Industry Excellence Cocktail Event naming rights sponsor Intrust Super, conference hospitality partner (morning tea) Intrust Super, conference hospitality partner (afternoon tea) Ergon Energy, Business Leader Panel sponsor Cairns Regional Council, Chairman’s Award partners the Cairns Chamber of Commerce and Staging Connections, conference luncheon partner Cairns Airport, venue partner Ports North, Hall of Fame Awards sponsor Hostplus, catering partner Nu Nu Restaurant, theming partner The Vintage Hire Company.