Picture this; a beautiful, quaint Himachal town, situated amidst thick forests, surrounded by towering mountains on all sides. That’s the beauty of Mashobra, a charming town situated on the outskirts of Shimla.
So if you do decide to undertake the slightly long journey to Mashobra, here are some really interesting things you can do there.
1) Jakhu Temple: Shimla’s most famous temple, the Jakhu temple is dedicated to Hanuman, and this is evident in the thousands of monkeys that can be seen around the temple
2) Rothney Castle: On the way up to the temple, you can peep through the gates of Rothney Castle, that was built for colonial reformer and naturalist Allan Octavian Hume, who amassed the world’s largest collection of stuffed Asiatic birds here before donating it to the British Museum
3) Shimla Heritage Museum: Go back in time and experience Shimla in black and white through the ancient treasures that are housed in this museum
4) Mall Road: A staple of every hill-station, the Mall Road in Shimla makes for a very pretty walk and is a great place for some last-minute shopping and quaint souvenirs
Once you’re done with Mashobra, and if you have the time to spare, then Kufri, a picturesque hill-station, just 20 kms away from Shimla, is an excellent place to visit. Very well known as a ski destination, although winter is the best time to visit Kufri, the months between April and June warrant a visit for their lovely weather. Developed as a tourist destination by the British back in 1819, Kufri is a great place to unwind—with panoramic views of the Himalayas, adventure sports, steep hikes and even a few interesting sightseeing spots.
1) The Himalayan Nature Park: Sprawled across 90 hectares and comprising of a diverse range of western Himalayan flora and fauna, the Himalayan Nature Park is home to a large variety of animals and over 180 species of birds
2) Mahasu Peak: The highest point in Kufri, on a clear day you can even see the Badrinath and Kedarnath ranges from the peak. During ski season, the Mahasu ridge is also a great spot for beginners to practice before hitting the rougher slopes
3) Fagu: Located between two valleys and surrounded by apple orchards, Fagu is ideal for skiing in the winter months, and makes a great spot for a picnic during the summer. Just 6 kms ahead of Kufri, this little village overlooks the Giri valley and has a tourist bungalow perched right at the top
“Mashobra is an extremely beautiful holiday destination and I highly recommend it,” says Nidhi Batra, Nirvana’s co-founder. “The best way to travel to this gorgeous place is a flight from Mumbai to Chandigarh and then a road trip from Chandigarh to Mashobra, which takes about four hours. But the beauty of the hills makes the drive completely worthwhile. Once there, the charming town, the friendly locals and the pure, fresh air will definitely make this a vacation to remember!”