Ahead of tickets being released to the public for the London New Year’s Eve fireworks display, the Mayor of London Boris Johnson today announced a new partnership with Unicef that will bring a new dimension to the acclaimed event.
100,000 revellers are expected to gather in the viewing areas for the hugely popular pyrotechnic and lighting display, which is focused around the Coca-Cola London Eye. Tickets are being released to the public this Friday 2 October at midday.
Through the partnership with Unicef, ticketholders are being invited to come together for the first ever New Year’s ‘Big Resolution’. In addition to the exclusive programme music, countdown to midnight and the spectacular display itself, The Big Resolution will be a unifying moment aimed at raising awareness and bringing lasting change to the lives of vulnerable children around the world.
During this season of goodwill and as people make resolutions and look ahead to a happy New Year, Unicef is hoping to raise vital funds to help children caught in wars and disasters around the world, like the one in Syria.
The Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: ‘Our stunning fireworks display is seen by millions of people across the globe, celebrating the successes of the last year and looking ahead with optimism and positivity to the new one. I am thrilled that we are linking up with a global organisation like Unicef to mark the start of 2016 by bringing people together for a shared moment of goodwill to raise awareness and benefit children around the world.’
Unicef UK’s Deputy Executive Director, Catherine Cottrell, said: ‘Unicef is delighted to join with The Mayor of London New Year’s Eve fireworks. Together, we hope to unite people across the UK in The Big Resolution to help change the lives of vulnerable children around the world. We are living in unprecedented times. There are now more than 30 million children displaced from their homes, more than at any time since World War Two. Children need our help now more than ever. This promises to be a very special and memorable New Year’s Eve celebration.’
More details about plans for the London New Year’s Eve fireworks, including Unicef’s involvement will be announced in due course.
Corporate sponsorship opportunities are available to businesses wanting to support the award-winning event, which is seen by 100,000 ticketed guests and attracted 16.1 million UK broadcast viewers, as well as an international audience in excess of one billion, in 2014. Corporate sponsorship offers businesses the ability to reach out to millions of people in the UK and abroad to promote this important campaign to help children around the world.
People wanting to guarantee a view and entry for this year’s celebrations will be able to book up to four tickets from midday on Friday 2 October by visiting www.london.gov.uk/nye. Each ticket is £10, with every penny being used to pay for the costs associated with the ticketing scheme.
Ticketing was brought in for the first time last year to help manage ever increasing crowds heading into central London for the display. The aim was to reduce numbers attempting to view the fireworks, but unable to do so, to help ensure its long term sustainability as a safe and enjoyable event. As well as being enjoyed by revellers in the viewing areas, the internationally acclaimed display is watched by millions on television and helps promote London around the world.
Anyone without a ticket will not be able to get into this year’s event, but they will still be able to take advantage of the hundreds of other celebrations taking place in pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants all over London, many close to home.
For updates and information about how to book tickets go to www.london.gov.uk/nye.