Global Travel Media » Blog Archive » Mechanicals delay hundreds of Qantas pax in Dubai

Home » Headline News » Currently Reading:

Mechanicals delay hundreds of Qantas pax in Dubai

July 28, 2017 Headline News No Comments Email Email

Hundreds of Qantas passengers have arrived back in Australia from London after being stranded in Dubai for nearly two days, a delay that provoked a social media storm from disgruntled travellers.

Qantas flight QF2, operated with an A380 which was reported to be carrying over 400 passengers, departed London Heathrow on Monday as scheduled but ended up stuck in Dubai after the plane’s air conditioning failed.

Travellers said on social media they were trapped on the plane in blazing hot temperatures of over 40C for several hours on Dubai’s tarmac before being allowed to disembark.

Qantas put up passegners in Dubai hotels overnight, but the replacement flight struck engineering problems which led to further delays on Tuesday, the Daily Mail reported.

“Hi Qantas, what’s happening with your #QF002 flight from Dubai, which was cancelled twice?” asked Nikolaos Souliwtis‎ on the airline’s Facebook page on Wednesday.

“ I’ve been delayed for nearly 48 hours in Dubai airport and spent 7 hours inside an airplane with no ac and +40 degrees temperature. A hotel and food vouchers aren’t going to solve the lack of communication and help. HORRIBLE.”

Qantas replied: “It’s never our intention to cause any stress when travelling with us, Nikolaos. Unforeseen delays do happen for safety, security and operational reasons. Trust that our Team are doing their best to get everyone on their way ASAP. Mark”

It’s not the first time such things have happened. A look at Twitter shows that exactly a year before, on 27 July 2016, artist and educator Jon Clark tweeted: “@Qantas flight QF 002 sitting in Dubai airport waiting for flight information about our very delayed trip… #Qantas #delay #Dubai #flight.”

Back to the present, Katie Hargreaves wrote on Facebook:  “This has been a horrific ordeal, sitting in an overheated aircraft, standing in lines for hours, waiting and waiting with very little information. I hope Qantas is planning to adequately compensate passengers for this mess.”

Arabian Business reported that Qantas commissioned an A380 from its partner Emirates to operate the flight.

“Now on Emirates flight, so we finally get away,” commented passenger Cathy Verry. “Leave Dubai at midnight / 6am Wednesday in Sydney, which is 24hrs after scheduled arrival time! Win some lose some I guess. Starting to board….whoop whoop!”

The flight took off from Dubai to Sydney on Wednesday morning, landing in the evening. The malfunctioning Qantas A380 followed it, eventually arriving  back in Sydney yesterday, after being repaired in Dubai.

Some passengers praised the airline for the way crew handled the situation. Others were more frustrated and less forgiving.

“We appreciate this has been an extremely frustrating time for passengers and apologise sincerely,’ Qantas said.

“Delays like this are very unusual, and very regrettable, but we will always put safety before schedule.”

Written by Peter Needham

Comment on this Article:

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership


Elite Partnership Sponsors


Premier Partnership Sponsors


Official Media Event Partner


Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication