Home » Attraction » Currently Reading:

Merlin Entertainments Group Announces More Exciting Changes For Underwater World

July 12, 2013 Attraction No Comments Email Email

Merlin Entertainments Group today announces the second stage of a two year, $6.5 million refurbishment for Queensland’s iconic aquarium UnderWater World.

The second stage reinvigoration program for the attraction will begin this month and when complete will introduce five exciting new zones, new animal species and a new name for the 24-year old attraction.

From 2014, the revitalised UnderWater World will become part of the world famous SEA LIFE UnderWater World announces exciting new changesbrand, and incorporate SEA LIFE into its name. Recognised around the world as the number one aquarium brand, SEA LIFE is renowned as a centre of excellence for marine management, education, interactive exhibits and conservation. Becoming part of the SEA LIFE brand will set the benchmark for some of the exciting new activities and exhibits.

Merlin Entertainments, the leading name in location-based, family entertainment and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, operates 44 SEA LIFE centres in 14 different countries around the world and UnderWater World will become the fourth SEA LIFE in Australia.

When the second stage of the UnderWater World refurbishment is completed by the beginning of January 2014, the new SEA LIFE aquarium will feature nine new amazing zones of discovery, iconic state of the art displays, scores of new species including Australia’s largest collection of sea jellies and many more to be revealed in the coming months.

Guests to the attraction will also be educated in the art of marine conservation, of which UnderWater World is already an industry leader, under SEA LIFE’s strong ethical and environmental values – BREED, RESCUE and PROTECT.

The UnderWater World team will employ a stage-by-stage approach to the renovations, ensuring minimum disruption to guests visiting the attraction over the five month period.

James Thomas, Head of Queensland Attractions for Merlin Entertainments Group said UnderWater World will be taken to a whole new level with the second stage of the revitalisation program.

“Merlin Entertainments Group acquired Underwater World in March 2012 and has committed to a multi-million dollar investment program to ensure its future as a must-do Sunshine Coast attraction,” said Mr Thomas.

“Guests have already been delighted with the new Ocean Tank and Walk Through which we launched last September and our next phase of refurbishment will take the attraction to a whole new level. Becoming part of the SEA LIFE brand will set the benchmark for some of the exciting exhibits that will open to the public in January,” he said.

“A key consideration in planning the exciting changes was to ensure minimal disruption and remain open to our visitors. We’re able to do this by working in phases to ensure we can still provide our guests with an unforgettable aquarium experience,”

“We have some really exciting plans in place with each of the new zones and are looking forward to launching our new SEA LIFE aquarium in January for the summer school holidays,” said Mr Thomas.

Spectacular new features unveiled as part of the first stage of revitalisation late last year include the new Ocean Tank and Walk Through with four new themed zones, a state of the art water filtration system and the introduction of a more extensive marine conservation program.

For more information please visit www.underwaterworld.com.au

Comment on this Article:







Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership

ADVERTISEMENTS

Elite Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Premier Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Official Media Event Partner

ADVERTISEMENTS

Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication

ADVERTISEMENTS

GLOBAL TRAVEL MEDIA VIDEOS