Home » Statistics & Trends » Currently Reading:

Mobile purchasing trends show domestic travel is on the rise, as Aussies look for easy deals online

April 7, 2017 Statistics & Trends No Comments Email Email

Criteo (NASDAQ: CRTO), the performance marketing technology company, today unveiled the findings from its first ever Asian Digital Traveller Report, conducted by Euromonitor International.http://www.rembrandtbkk.com/The report highlighted that domestic travel increased by a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 6 percent between 2011-16 compared to international travel which increased by a CAGR of just 3.8 percent. The number of trips made by locals is expected to continue growing, with outbound and domestic trips expected to strengthen by a CAGR of 4.8 percent and 7.2 percent respectively from 2017 to 2020.

The impact of mobile penetration on the travel industry was also uncovered, with online travel sales forecasted to grow even further in the coming years. This includes nearly half (42 percent) of millennials preferring smartphones for online browsing of travel products or services, and mobile travel sales accounted for 25 percent of all online travel sales in 2016.

Speaking of the findings, Pressy Sankaran, Commercial Director of Criteo ANZ, said “The Australian travel industry has seen significant growth in the last decade, so it’s no surprise domestic travel is the preferred way to getaway. The rise of online travel tools, affordable hotels, and accommodation sharing sites like Airbnb, has made local travel more affordable and easier to manage. Couple this with a falling Australian dollar and good weather, all of a sudden our local tourist attractions become even more desirable.

“We also found that tech-savvy millennials primarily browse for travel packages and in-destination activities through their mobile phones and OTA mobile apps. With technology adoption on the rise and most businesses now offering a savvy mobile experience, mobile is clearly the platform of the future. Businesses should prepare now to make the most of the growing market.”

Other key findings from the research:

Convenience wins over price

Australian travellers seek convenience when it comes to booking, both on mobile and online. Nearly 9 out of 10 (87 percent) respondents said that convenience was their biggest deciding factor of how, when and why they booked their trip, compared to the 66 percent of people that cited price as the driving force behind their purchases. The convenience factors include ease of online shopping, speed, and the ability to compare prices across providers.

Mobile is the fastest growing platform for browsing and purchases

According to the research, laptop and smartphone are equal when it comes to travel browsing, with each making up 34 percent of all travel related searches. However, this trend is set to change with mobile travel sales growing by a CAGR of 52 percent between 2011 and 2016, significantly outpacing that of overall online travel sales including sales from desktop and laptop, which grew by a CAGR of 11 percent in the same period.

Criteo’s recent Digital Commerce & Marketing Outlook Report  has also shown that people are increasingly willing to make large item and expensive purchases from their smartphones; today’s research shows that travel purchases are included in this category, with 55 percent of respondents willing to spend more than $800 when booking a single travel product or service via their smartphone.

Leisure is king, but only for a few nights

A significant 80 percent of travellers took five or fewer trips in the last year; 35 percent of these trips last one to two nights, 28 percent seven or more nights, and 26 percent three to six nights. Only 11 percent of trips were one nighters. Of these, 66 percent were for leisure and personal travel, while remaining 34 percent covered business and other.

Travel website reviews sway consumers

According to the report, 51 percent of Australian digital travellers are most influenced to visit a location by the attractions of their preferred destinations, travel website reviews and word of mouth. This is consistent across age groups, with previous experience being the next largest factor (49 percent), followed by specific dates and occasions (43 percent).

Comment on this Article:







Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership

ADVERTISEMENTS

Elite Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Premier Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Official Media Event Partner

ADVERTISEMENTS

Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication

ADVERTISEMENTS

GLOBAL TRAVEL MEDIA VIDEOS