The most depressing day of the year, January 16, may have met its converse in the beautiful Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina. The third Monday in January is known as “Blue Monday” because the winter blues are said to peak as a post-holiday slump combines with the undoubted arrival of chillier days up north. Knowing that just booking travel can boost one’s happiness, Myrtle Beach directly combats this gloominess with a series of steep spring travel discounts, available for just two weeks on VisitMyrtleBeach.com.
One study from Applied Research in Quality of Life found that the largest boost in travel-related happiness comes from the simple act of planning a vacation. Another study from the University of Pittsburgh’s Mind-Body Center found that leisure time, including vacations, generated more positive emotions and fewer negative feelings and depression.
“We’re replacing the common gloom of January with a kind of blue that gives people something to look forward to: visiting the rolling ocean waters along our 60 miles of beaches,” said Scott Schult, vice president of marketing for Visit Myrtle Beach. “Studies show that just planning a vacation can positively impact one’s wellbeing, not to mention that the trip itself can help you de-stress and reconnect with loved ones. We think now – the most depressing day of the year – could not be a better time to give yourself something to look forward to this spring.”
The Myrtle Beach area is known for its year-round affordability, as well as its appeal to multiple generations and interests. The accommodation discounts available in the coming two weeks make a Myrtle Beach vacation even more accessible for the spring travel season. Deals featured on VisitMyrtleBeach.com include:
- Marina Inn at Grande Dunes – 40 percent off a stay of two nights or more
- Palmetto Vacation Rentals – 20 percent off entire stay
- Landmark Resort – 41 percent discount on accommodations, plus daily breakfast for two
- Captain’s Quarters Resort – 41 discount on accommodations, plus a $20 food credit per day and one $25 game card per stay
- Crown Reef Beach Resort – 42 percent discount on accommodations, plus a $20 food credit per day and one $25 game card per stay
- Art Burger Sushi, The Chemist and the Noizy Oyster – one free dessert with the purchase of an entrée
Myrtle Beach’s spring travel deals are available for booking from January 16 through January 31, which is also the U.S. Travel Association’s “National Plan for Vacation Day.” For more information on the Myrtle Beach area or to book a trip, go to VisitMyrtleBeach.com.