FAST4 Tennis is returning to Sydney in January 2016, with the event to be headlined by 14-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal and to feature a new format that pits three Aussie stars against the best in the World.
This year’s event will see Team Australia (Lleyton Hewitt, Nick Kyrgios and captain Pat Cash) against the World (Rafael Nadal, Gael Monfils and captain John McEnroe) at Allphones Arena on Monday 11 January
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events and Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres said the heart-stopping event promises to return bigger and more exciting than ever, after the global launch of FAST4 tennis earlier this year in Sydney.
“Rafael Nadal is one of the greatest tennis players we’ve ever seen, and I can’t wait to welcome him to Sydney along with his ‘World’ teammates Gael Monfils and John McEnroe.” Mr Ayres said.
“With Lleyton set to retire following the Australian Open, this will be the final chance for Sydney-siders to bid farewell to one of the nation’s toughest and most competitive athletes our nation’s ever produced.
“This year’s FAST4 saw nearly 2,500 international and domestic visitors come to Sydney specifically for the event, spending over $500,000. With the 2016 event expected to deliver similar results, FAST4 will provide a large boost to the local visitor economy, including local hotels, restaurants and attractions.”
Rafael Nadal said he is looking forward to returning to the Harbour City for the first time since 2007.
“I haven’t played in Sydney for a long time but I know it’s an amazing city and Australian tennis fans are some of the best in the world so I’m excited to come back.”
The NSW Government has secured this FAST4 tennis event exclusively for Sydney, through its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW.