Porters Ski Area has announced that they will open the lower mountain today(9th July), just in time for the school holidays. Mountain snowmakers and groomers have been working steadily over the last week to provide skiable cover the beginner areas and Easy Street.
“We are really delighted to get underway for the season and pleased we can open for the children and families who have been looking forward to their winter break in the snow. We anticipate a great start to the season“, comments Sales and Marketing Manager Anton Wilke.
The Beginners Carpet Lift, the Platter Lift and the Easy Rider Chair will run, offering reasonable snow cover for beginners and intermediate skiers. The ever-popular Kidsfest Beginners’ Fun programme will also start tomorrow and continue throughout the school holidays. The ski school holiday programme will begin a week later, on Monday 18th of July.
A substantial storm is forecast for Porters by the middle of next week, which hopefully will bring the snow required to open the entire mountain offering more terrain for advanced skiers and boarders. “It has been a frustrating couple of weeks but cold temperature have allowed good snow making, for opening tomorrow”, comments General Manager Uli Dinsenbacher.
All base facilities and services are operational; café, snow sports school, rental department and shop. There will be a shuttle bus leaving the chain fitting area on the hour from 9am – 11am (every day during the holidays and when chains are required).
This year there is a range of new and innovative packages for families, midweek skiers, regular clients who have not yet bought a seasons pass, and beginners. ENDS
- Porters Ski Area is the closest ski area to Christchurch – 89km or just over one
- In 2015 Porters Ski Area underwent a $7m upgrade that included the addition of a new quad chairlift, extended learner’s area, larger outdoor café facilities and fully upgraded ski hire shop and equipment
- Full facilities include 1 x quad chairlift, 3 x T Bar lifts ,Platter Lift and Sunkid carpet learners lift
- Top Mountain elevation, 1980 Meters, base carpark 1302 Meters
- Further details on www.skiporters.co.nz