A fleeting opportunity remains for modern day adventurers to join a small number of like-minded travellers on PONANT’s Kuril Archipelago voyage during September 2015, exploring the outer reaches of the land of ice and fire, a rarely visited chain of active and benign volcanic islands linking Japan and the Kamchatka Peninsular
From onboard the modern expedition cruise ship Le Soleal, this 15 night voyage is designed to reveal fascinating places untouched by tourism. Remote destinations where a mere trickle of travellers visit each year since Perestroika and the end of Cold War restrictions to this no-go zone. A voyage with substance.
Extraordinary experiences will etch your mind forever: entering the Wagnerian-like Valley of the Geysers, 200 primeval steaming geothermal vents from hell, in a Russian military-style helicopter; photographing prolific wildlife in bird colonies and seal rookeries scattered across this ageless coastline; watching a brown bear hunting for salmon; meeting the Chukchi people, or the ominous sight of a pod of orcas.
Experience the basic power of nature with Le Soleal’s specialist expedition team and lecturers who will enhance your time onboard and ashore while exploring the sheer grandeur, history and culture of this fascinating region. More than grand landscapes, this island chain comes with a turbulent history that has involved the Russians, Chinese and Japanese – even British and French expeditionary forces – the area remains in dispute between Russia and Japan.
From Petropavlovsk, still with its imposing statue of Lenin, visit Atlasova featuring the highest volcano in the Kurils; Shumshu, where the last battle of WWII in the Pacific Russian invasion took place; the former Japanese WWII naval and military garrison at Paramushir; Yanchicha, so rarely visited it is barely mentioned on web searches; the twin volcanic islands of Chirpoy ……. all isolated dots on the Kuril map, then on to Japan and enchanting Otaru and Kanazawa.
Discover how it’s not just what PONANT does, it’s the way it’s done that sets the benchmark for modern expedition cruising:
The Kuril Archipelago / 15 night voyage Departs Petropavlovsk 21 September – 5 October 2015 / Le Soleal
Petropavlovsk, Atlasova, Shumshu, Paramushir, Onekotan, Shiashikotani, Matua, Yanchicha, Chirpoy, Tulenyi, Korsakov, Otaru, Kanazawa.
- Prestige Stateroom, deck 4, with ocean views and private balcony: One night in Tokyo included.
- Plus chartered flight Tokyo / Petropavlovsk and transfer included. $11,410pp
- Plus a special offer: $2,400pp offered towards your flights*
- Please note that all pricing is per person, twin share, inclusive of Safety and Port taxes. Pricing is yield managed, reflecting current advance purchase Ponant Bonus currently available. Back-to-back voyages receive additional reductions.
- Single Supplement fares currently also available
- Passengers on this voyage receive a complimentary Ponant Expedition parka
INFORMATION & RESERVATIONS