Princess Cruises today revealed the second musical production showcreated in collaboration with Oscar-, Tony- and Grammy-winning composer Stephen Schwartz and his team of professional creators, entitled – “Born to Dance” – a tribute to Broadway choreography featuring inspired performances that celebrate some of Broadway’s most-famous hits.
The new show, created and directed by Daniel C. Levine, is scheduled to debut exclusively on Princess Cruises, fall 2016.
“Born to Dance” is a is a high energy nod to dance, highlighting some of Broadway’s most acclaimed choreographers and brought to life through the most memorable songs from iconic shows including “West Side Story’, “A Chorus Line”, “Chicago” and more. “Born to Dance” celebrates many of Broadway’s most acclaimed choreographers and dancers, giving viewers a glimpse into what it takes to be a professional dancer. The show pays tribute to many of Broadway’s trail-blazing choreographers, including Bob Fosse, Jerome Robbins and Gower Champion. In addition, some of today’s hottest choreographers and dancers make virtual appearances in the show through video and multi-media projection, including Tony winners Andy Blankenbuehler (“Hamilton“), Rob Ashford (“Evita”) and Karen Ziemba (“Chicago“).
“Celebrating the role dance plays on Broadway through famous musical hits from some of the most famous Broadway shows in history was Stephen’s vision for the highly-anticipated second musical production in our partnership,” said Adrian Fischer, vice president, entertainment experience for Princess Cruises. “‘Born to Dance’ will no doubt deliver an uplifting, feel-good show with our guests leaving the theater feeling energized, happy and nostalgic after enjoying dance performed to so many beloved Broadway songs.”
“Dan Levine, creator and director of ‘Born to Dance,’ inspired me with his vision of a show that pays tribute to the larger-than-life choreographers who have shaped Broadway and the dancers whose passion brings their work to life,” said Stephen Schwartz. “I was honored to propose this show to Princess and for Dan and I to work closely with them refining its structure and song list, assembling a world-class creative team and securing the participation of some of Broadway’s most accomplished choreographers and dancers.”
“Born to Dance” premieres aboard Star Princess in fall 2016, followed by Grand Princess and Golden Princess in early 2017.
The “Born to Dance” production team includes:
- Daniel C. Levine, (Creator and Director of Born to Dance) has appeared on Broadway and in the Broadway national tours of “Mamma Mia!”, “Little Shop of Horrors”, “Jesus Christ Superstar“, “Chicago” and “Les Miserables”. He is also the creator, producer, and director of “Broadway Backstage!” which is currently touring throughout the United States.
- Al Blackstone, (Choreographer) is an acclaimed choreographer, performer, and educator as well as a recipient of the 2011 Capezio A.C.E. Award for Choreographic Excellence. He recently choreographed for the hit TV show So You Think You Can Dance.
- Bryan Perri, (Musical Director) is currently the music director and conductor of the Broadway production of “Wicked”. He was musical director of “Chaplin” on Broadway where he also contributed vocal and dance arrangements.
- William Ivey Long, (Costume Designer) is a six-time Tony Award winner and acclaimed designer for Broadway productions including Rodger’s and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella”, “The Producers” and “Hairspray”.
- Beowulf Boritt, (Scenic Designer) is a Tony Award-winning set designer. His past Broadway scenic design work includes “Act One”, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”, “Lovemusik”, and “Chaplin”. He is nominated for a Tony again this year for the play Therese Raquin.
- Caite Hevner, (Project and Media Designer) has designed over 100 productions in New York City and across the United States. Her work has been seen on Broadway in many productions including “No Man’s Land”, “Macbeth”, and the recent revival of “On The Town”.
- Jack Mehler, (Lighting Designer) has served as lighting designer for a wide variety of musicals, dance, plays and corporate projects. He received the 2013 Korean Musical Theatre Award (Korean Tony) for “Rebecca” and the 2012 award for “Elisabeth”.
This partnership between a cruise line and a major creative talent from Broadway and Hollywood includes a multi-year collaboration to oversee the creative development of a total of four new musicals to debut across the fleet over the next several years. This adds to the cruise line’s “come back new” brand promise, by elevating the onboard guest experience resulting in more transformative moments, lifetime memories and meaningful stories to share from a cruise vacation.
The first musical production of the Stephen Schwartz partnership, “Magic to Do” debuted to rave reviews in fall 2015, and is currently entertaining guests aboard Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess. The show celebrates his lifelong fascination with magic and combines thrilling illusions with some of his most famous songs, such as “Magic to Do” from “Pippin” and “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked.” A “Making of Magic of Do” behind the scenes video can be found here.
During his 40-year entertainment career, Schwartz has won four Grammys, three Academy Awards for Best Song and Best Score for “Pocahontas” and Best Song for “The Prince of Egypt” and last year received the Isabelle Stevenson special Tony Award. He is the only songwriter in Broadway history ever to have three shows run more than 1,900 performances.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel consultant, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237), or by visiting the company’s website at princess.com.