Home » Headline News » Currently Reading:

Qantas group holds its own against strong competition

December 7, 2017 Headline News 1 Comment Email Email

The Qantas group now controls over 25% of international seats to and from Australia, a market share which exceeds that of the next three carriers combined, latest figures reveal.

Newly released data for the month of September 2017 shows the strength of Qantas, which is holding its own against fierce competition and even increasing its share.

Qantas international services comprised 16.5% of the total and were followed by Jetstar with 9.2% (so 25.7% combined Qantas and Jetstar), Singapore Airlines with 8.5%, Emirates also with 8.5% and Virgin Australia with 6.4%.

Air New Zealand came in next with 6.2%, Cathay Pacific with 4.4%, AirAsia X with 3.8%, Etihad with 3.5% and China Southern with 2.5%.

If you add Jetstar Asia (0.6%) into the equation, the Qantas group accounted for 26.2% of the month’s traffic.

The pie-graph shown below compares monthly passenger traffic for the year ended September 2017 (not the single month of September) with monthly passenger traffic for the year ended September 2016. (The biggest block is always taken by that mysterious carrier “Others”!)

 

International passengers by major airlines. Year ended September 2017

 

In the single month of September 2017, compared to September 2016, Qantas Airways’ share rose by 0.9 percentage points, Jetstar’s share decreased by 0.2 percentage points, Singapore Airlines’ share increased by 0.5 percentage points, Emirates’ share decreased by 0.4 percentage points and Virgin Australia’s share decreased by 0.2 percentage points.

The share of passenger traffic accounted for by Australian designated airlines has fallen slightly from 32.3% in September 2016 to 32% in September 2017. Qantas Airways, Jetstar and Virgin Australia contributed to the Australian airline share in September 2017.

A year earlier, in September 2016, the Qantas group – Qantas Airways, Jetstar and Jetstar Asia – accounted for 25.6% of the total.

Latest figures collated by the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE), shows 59 international airlines operated scheduled services to/from Australia during the month of September 2017 (includes five dedicated freight airlines but excludes airlines operating only via code share arrangements).

International scheduled passenger traffic in September 2017 was 3.329 million compared to 3.176 million in September 2016 – an increase of 4.8%.

Passenger traffic for the year ended September 2017 was 39.135 million which is a 5.8% increase over the figure for the year ended September 2016.

Total seats made available on international scheduled operations to/from Australia during September 2017 were 4.246 million – an increase of 5.2% compared to September 2016. The overall seat utilisation percentage (including AirAsia X, China Airlines, Emirates, Philippine Airlines, Qantas and Singapore Airlines passengers travelling through Australian ports) decreased from 80.8% in September 2016 to 80.6% in September 2017.

Low Cost Carriers (LCCs) AirAsia X, Cebu Pacific Air, Indonesia AirAsia, Jetstar, Jetstar Asia and Scoot Tigerair accounted for 16.5% of total international passenger traffic to/from Australia in September 2017. The Low Cost Carriers’ share in September 2016 was 18.1%.

Edited by Peter Needham

Currently there is "1 comment" on this Article:

  1. AgentGerko says:

    I wonder how much of QF’s market share involves them selling seats on codeshare flights? After all, there are routes like Taipei, Guangzhou, Seoul and virtually everywhere in Europe where a QF aircraft never sets foot.

Comment on this Article:







Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership

ADVERTISEMENTS

Elite Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Premier Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Official Media Event Partner

ADVERTISEMENTS

Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication

ADVERTISEMENTS

GLOBAL TRAVEL MEDIA VIDEOS