Home » Aviation »Headline News » Currently Reading:

Qantas market share dips as Emirates rises in latest stats

April 7, 2014 Aviation, Headline News 1 Comment Email Email

egtmedia59Qantas saw its international market share to and from Australia fall slightly in the month of January 2014, compared to a year previously, while Emirates increased its share and Jetstar level-pegged.

The figures are revealed in a newly released report on international aviation activity compiled by Australia’s Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE).

In terms of passenger carriage, Qantas Airways had the largest share of the market in January 2014 with 16% of the total, followed by Emirates with 9.3%, Jetstar with 8.4%, Singapore Airlines also with 8.4% and Air New Zealand with 7.6%.International Passengers by Major Airlines - Year ended January 2014

Compared to January 2013, Qantas Airways’ share decreased by 0.9%, Emirates’ share increased by 0.3%, Jetstar’s share remained unchanged, Singapore Airlines’ share decreased by 0.3% and Air New Zealand’s share decreased by 0.4%.

The Qantas group – Qantas Airways, Jetstar and Jetstar Asia (0.5%) accounted for 24.9% of total passenger carriage in January 2014. That was down 0.7% from the group’s share in January 2013, which was 25.6%.

Fifty-three international airlines operated scheduled services to/from Australia during the month. That includes five dedicated freight airlines but excludes airlines operating only via code-share arrangements.

International scheduled passenger traffic in January 2014 was 3.192 million compared to 2.888 million in January 2013 – an increase of 10.5%.

Passenger traffic for the year ended January 2014 was 31.649 million which is a 6.6% increase over the figure for the year ended January 2013.

Total seats made available on international scheduled operations to/from Australia during January 2014 were 4.024 million – an increase of 11.3% compared to January 2013. The overall seat utilisation percentage (including China Airlines, Emirates and Qantas passengers travelling through Australian ports) has decreased from 83.1% in January 2013 to 82.4% in January 2014.

The share of passenger traffic accounted for by Australian designated airlines has fallen from 30.9% in January 2013 to 29.6% in January 2014. Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Australia (5.2% – excludes services operated under New Zealand designation) contributed to the Australian airline share in January 2014.

Low Cost Carriers (LCCs) AirAsia X, Indonesia AirAsia, Jetstar, Jetstar Asia, Tigerair and Scoot accounted for 17.1% of total international passenger traffic to/from Australia in January 2014. The LCC share in January 2013 was 14.7%.

Edited by Peter Needham

Currently there is "1 comment" on this Article:

  1. AgentGerko says:

    What a surprise. QF enters into al alliance with Ek that is biased towards Ek and the QF share drops.

Comment on this Article:







Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Platinium Partnership

ADVERTISEMENTS

Elite Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Premier Partnership Sponsors

ADVERTISEMENTS

Official Media Event Partner

ADVERTISEMENTS

Global Travel media endorses the following travel publication

ADVERTISEMENTS

GLOBAL TRAVEL MEDIA VIDEOS