“There was a time when people said that Singapore won’t make it, but we did.” So go the lyrics of the patriotic song, We Are Singapore. This year, as the country marks the 50th anniversary of its founding, it can safely say it has more than made it. Playing witness to its trials and tribulations is Raffles Singapore, established in 1887, and a veritable icon renowned the world over.
From its 1 Beach Road address, in the heart of the civic and business district, the hotel has even, at times, contributed to making the country what it is today. It is perhaps apt then that Raffles Singapore is joining its fellow compatriots in celebrating this milestone. Guests can expect interesting tours of the property, delicious dining promotions and irresistible suite packages. Locals and overseas guests all are welcome to join in the festivities.
“As the doyenne of Singapore’s world class hotel industry and one of the most recognisable symbols of the country, we feel it is essential to have a lively programme all year round in which visitors and resident guests of Raffles Singapore can partake. After all, it is not everyday that a country turns 50 and when it has achieved so much,” said Simon Hirst, General Manager, Raffles Singapore.
- For an occasion as momentous as a Golden Jubilee, the stops have rightfully been pulled out with the Celebratory Suite Package(AUD18,862++)(S$19,650++)*. Reside in the Raffles Singapore’s luxurious Presidential Suite for a night and toast to the anniversary with Private Label Billecart-Salmon Champagne, exclusively bottled to mark the hotel’s 125th anniversary.
After check-in, put yourself in the expert hands of renowned Singaporean photographer Russel Wong for a personalised portrait taken within the hotel, which will then be presented in an elegant Tiffany & Co. frame. A man’s or woman’s Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso watch, with commemorative engraving, produced to mark the hotel’s 125th anniversary, will also be presented to become a priceless family heirloom to be passed down for the future.
Come evening, sample the specially created Elizabethan Grill Tribute Tasting Menu at Raffles Grill. The food pays tribute to the cuisine of the restaurant that once bore the same name, in honour of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
- In celebration of this momentous occasion, for the month of August, ourSG50 Staycation will give all Singaporeans and local residents an excuse to take a break from routine with a memorable experience for families with breakfast inclusive for two adults and two children and fun activities for the children to explore the grounds of the hotel. Couples who are looking for a luxurious respite from the daily hustle with loved ones will take delight in complimentary late check-out and parking, 20% off food bill at selected hotel-operated restaurants, 15% discount off spa treatments, AUD48 (S$50)* hotel credit and history tour by Resident Historian.
- Never been a guest at Raffles? This is the chance to enter that wrought-iron portico and follow in the footsteps of numerous luminaries that have visited Raffles Singapore. Every Saturday from June to August 2015, 45-minute tours will be conducted four times a day (9am, 11am, 3pm & 5pm) by the Preservation of Sites and Monuments Division’s* volunteer guides. Dubbed “Raffles Walk of Fame”, it will explore the hotel and give a glimpse of the many famous guests who had stayed or written about the hotel before such as Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor, Somerset Maugham, Charlie Chaplin, Karl Lagerfeld, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The tour will also highlight the locations where films such as Pretty Polly and Hawaii Five-O were shot.Priced at S$20 per person, fully redeemable at the Raffles Gift Shop and the hotel’s food and beverage outlets.
* A Division of the National Heritage Board
- Good news for visitors who cannot resist taking a photograph of Raffles Singapore’s grand façade. From 1 June to 28 August 2015, the driveway will display the Singapore flag composed of the solenostemon scutellarioides andbreynia nivosa roseo picta flowers. Measuring 25m2, the floral rendition of the Singapore flag will feature brilliantly in photographs.
- Fans of the Singapore Sling can also take a photo with its creator, Ngiam Tong Boon. As part of the Singapore Sling’s 100th Anniversary celebrations, a pop-up visual display of the iconic bartender will be available at the entrance of Long Bar, level 2, between 28 May to 31 December 2015.
Who is turning 50 this year? Throughout August 2015, guests born in 1965 are welcomed to celebrate their birthdays at any of Raffles Singapore’s food and beverage outlets. In doing so, they will be received 25 percent off the food bill, valid for up to 10 guests at Raffles Courtyard, Raffles Grill (excluding business set lunch), Long Bar Steakhouse and Tiffin Room (excluding afternoon tea). A great time to dine with family and friends. When Raffles Grill first opened in 1923, a section of the Main Dining Room was portioned off as a Grill Room. Later, in 1953, it was renamed Elizabethan Grill in honour of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. In recognition of the food served then, the Elizabethan Grill Tribute Tasting Menu (AUD240++)(S$250++)* has been created at Raffles Grill. Enjoy dishes such as Stewed Lobster and Dover Sole Fillet as part of the five-course menu. Look out too for the SlingaPore dessert, inspired by the Singapore Sling cocktail, which celebrates its 100th anniversary this year. Available from June to August 2015 at Raffles Grill.
For enquiries or reservations for the Suite Packages, please contact Room Reservations at +65 6412 1244 or email[email protected]
For enquiries or dining reservations, please contact Dining Reservations at +65 6412 1816 or email [email protected]
For registration of the Raffles Walk of Fame Tours, please email the Preservation of Sites and Monuments Division at [email protected]
* based on exchange rate at time of print, subject to change