And love is in the air in Australia with research from Cheapflights.com.au indicating there has been a 215 per cent increase in locals searching for Valentine’s weekend getaways to spend with their significant other.
Short and sweet escapes are most popular with a quarter (26 per cent) of couples looking to travel to Melbourne and 17 per cent set to jet-off to Hobart. Bali is the favoured international destination with a 260 per cent increase in Valentine’s weekend searches.
While topping the list of preferred destinations, Melbourne is also home to the most romantics with around three in ten (29 per cent) couples travelling over this period flying out of the city.
To spice things up, Cheapflights.com.au has compiled six saucy international destinations with risqué experiences to help inject passion and excitement into V-Day celebrations:
1. Atame Restaurant, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Whether or not you believe in the power of aphrodisiacs, there is no denying the romance and seduction power that Atame will have on a couple. The blend of the mansion-like décor, performances, music and food combine to give lasting effect. Settle in for an evening featuring ingredients used to spice up not only your food, but your love life, such as herbal aphrodisiacs maca, damiana, tribulus terrestris and epimedium.
2. Hidden Beach Resort, Riviera Maya, Mexico It’s not hard to conclude that social nudity can be a sensual experience (for some people), but nude retreats like the Hidden Beach Resort want to provide more – they want to create a safe place for total freedom and a chance to rid yourself of insecurities. Enjoy life with nothing to hide as you share all the amenities the resort has to offer. A few days of seeing your lover in this more complete way is one way to re-energise your love life.
3. Museum of Sex, New York, New York, United States Eager to learn something new? The Museum of Sex is here to inform. Its mission is to preserve and present the history, evolution and cultural significance of human sexuality, and is committed to encouraging public enlightenment. From the sex life of animals and the evolution of pornography to ‘FUNLAND: Pleasures and Perils of the Erotic Fairground’ (a hands-on exhibit designed to stimulate all five senses in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways), you and your significant other may find yourselves leaving this museum with a serious rush of endorphins.
4. Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India Khajuraho’s ancient temples are covered in erotica carvings, dating from 950 to 1050 AD. Seductive apsaras (heavenly nymphs), couples copulating in athletic poses and orgies are all reproduced in sandstone. A city built by the Chandellas dynasty, Khajuraho is located in a remote and dusty plain, which originally ensured the risqué repository was kept safe from disapproving eyes. Fly in from Varanasi to reach this unique Valentine’s Day destination.
5. Moulin Rouge, Paris, France This infamous nightspot first opened its doors in 1889 in the seedy district of Pigalle, and was once the epitome of Parisian joie de vivre. It was here that the iconic can-can was first danced, renowned for its high energy kicks and provocative peep under the dancers’ skirts. Today the fun ends at the chorus line curtain, but the show still provides a night to remember. Those in need of an immodesty fix can pop to the Museum of Eroticism next door.
6. The Secret Room, Naples, Italy Naples’ Archaeological Museum houses the Gabinetto Segreto, the Secret Room, holding a selection of erotic treasures from volcano-hit Pompeii. Located in rooms LXII and LXV on the mezzanine floor, this treasure trove only became fully accessible in 2000. The collection showcases various items from ancient Rome including amorous frescoes, depictions of the god Priapus, sexually explicit symbols, inscriptions and even provocative household items (such as phallic oil lamps). Where culture and sex combine, a love affair with Italy is sure to help get you in the mood for amore. To find out more and book your flights, visit Cheapflights.com.au.