The winter school holidays are a busy time at Sydney Airport, but travellers and visitors to the airport can save time and money by thinking ahead and planning their journey during the holidays.
It’s easy to be well prepared by following our top travel tips to ensure a smooth journey to and from the airport.
Top travel tips:
- Leave plenty of time for your journey to the airport during the school holidays, whether travelling or greeting loved ones. Check out the latest travel, traffic and transport advice before leaving home on Sydney Airport’s website, Twitter feed and Facebook page;
- Prepare for your trip to the airport by checking what terminal you will be departing from before you leave the house;
- Aim to arrive up to three hours before your departure time for international flights and up to two hours for domestic flights, and allow additional time for procedures such as customs and security screening during peak times;
- For international flights, pack carry-on liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) in a clear, resealable bag measuring no more than 80cm (20cm x 20cm or 15cm x 25cm). Each item should be no larger than 100mL. One clear, resealable bag is permitted per passenger (exceptions apply to passengers with children);
- If driving, you can make big savings on your parking by booking online at sydneyairport.com.au where you can choose from our conveniently located car parks at the T1 and T2/T3 terminals, and our budget Blu Emu Car Park;
- If collecting loved ones, there’s no need to rush. Why not book your parking online for as little as $10 for one hour or $15 for two hours?
- You can also choose from a range of public transport options; and
- Download the free Sydney Airport app for iPhone and Android for up-to-date flight information.
At the airport
- Use time-saving options such as online check-in, self-service check-in kiosks or automatic bag drops if offered by your airline;
- Put any metal items such as watches, phones, keys and coins into your hand luggage to save time at screening;
- Remove laptops from hand luggage ready to place in the plastic bins at screening;
- At the T1 precinct, the airport has completed the first stage of upgrades to the road network and car parking, including a purpose-built Express Pick Up zone that makes collecting passengers faster and more convenient;
- The changes have been designed to ease traffic flow in and around T1, especially at busy times;
- Extra staff will be on hand to assist customers during peak periods these school holidays, and particularly to help drivers who may not be familiar with the improved road network at T1;
- The T1 terminal is undergoing an exciting redevelopment to deliver a superior customer experience, so make sure to visit sydneyairport.com.au to check what’s open while the terminal is being upgraded; and
- Those farewelling family and friends can enjoy ‘fresh and fast’ food and beverage options before customs with new outlets including Roll’d, Nando’s, Grand Cru, Hokka Hokka, Soul Origin and Mach2.
For more details about all the above travel tips, please visit our website: sydneyairport.com.au