Thinking about what to do to escape the winter blues? Well, head to Malaysia for Royal Floria Putrajaya 2016, one of Malaysia’s most spectacular events. Whether or not you’re a green thumb, the country’s leading annual flower and garden festival taking place over 9 days from 27 May – 4 June 2016, is an event not to be missed.
After the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya just 30 kilometres away, is something of a revelation. Best known as Malaysia’s federal administrative capital and the home to the Malaysian Formula 1 Grand Prix, ask anyone who’s ever spent time there, and they will quickly tell you that it is also one of the most country’s most picturesque cities. Wide, open roads, lush botanic gardens and verdant parklands are among the many factors that make it the perfect venue for South East Asia’s answer to the Chelsea Flower Show.
Featuring over 80 landscaped garden plots, with amazing garden displays and attractions from right around the world, including more than 100,000 bougainvillea plants, this annual garden festival is the biggest event in Putrajaya’s busy calendar, attracting more than million visitors each year.
The theme of this year’s event is the Magical World of FLORIA, incorporating state-of-the-art technology including 3D hologram displays and magic mirroring, with program highlights including:
- The ethereal Magical Gardens Exhibit featuring a Mystical Forest, Chrysanthemum Garden, Mermaid’s World and Candy Courtyard;
- The exquisite Magic of Bonsai and Suiseki Exhibition;
- The Musical Garden;
- Terrarium Tropical Magic in a Glass Exhibition;
- The Royal Floria Putrajaya International Orchid Competition;
- Over 80 designer gardens where some of the world’s most renowned landscape architects will dazzle visitors with their creative and innovative masterpieces;
- The popular lakeside Tea Party Garden where visitors can enjoy refreshments and delicious Malaysian snacks;
- The Floral Pavilion featuring breathtaking floral displays from international and local exhibitors; and
- The Floria Arts & Crafts attraction, new for 2016, offering a fantastic range of traditional Malaysian handicraft products and souvenirs.
With more than 300 activities taking place daily across the 9 days including flower arrangement demonstrations, gardening workshops, entertainment shows, a photography competition and a water colour contest, Royal Floria Putrajaya has something to appeal to visitors of every age.
Priced from just RM22 (around A$7.50) for adults and only RM11 (around A$4) for children, Royal Floria Putrajaya will take place at Anjung Floria along the promenade in Putrajaya Precinct 4 from Friday, 27 May until Saturday, 4 June 2016. Opening hours are from 9.00 am until 10.30 pm (Mon – Thu) and from 9 am until 12 midnight (Fri – Sun).