In the wake of the United Airlines overbooking fiasco involving a doctor, a Canadian passenger says something disturbing and painful happened while he ate lunch in business class on United – on the very same day the doctor was dragged off another United flight.
Richard Bell was contemplating lunch on a United flight from Houston, Texas to Calgary in Canada when a scorpion tumbled out of the overhead bin, landed on his head and ended up stinging him.
It happened on the same day another United passenger, Doctor David Dao, was violently dragged from a plane after refusing to give his seat to a United staff member.
Bell, who was travelling with his wife, Linda, told CBC: “While I was eating, something fell in my hair from the overhead above me.
“I picked it up, and it was a scorpion. And I was holding it out by the tail, so it couldn’t really sting me then.”
He said a fellow passenger warned him the creature was a scorpion, so he dropped it on his plate “and then I went to pick it up again, and that’s when it stung me. It got my nail, mostly,” Bell said
Bell said he flicked the scorpion onto the floor. A flight attendant covered it with a cup before disposing of it in the bathroom.
After being given a painkiller as a precaution by a nurse who was aboard, Bell was taken to hospital in Calgary and later released.
According to CBC, Bell has no plans to launch a lawsuit and United has offered the couple flight credit as compensation.
Written by Peter Needham