Spotify today revealed the list of the 25 most influential artists under the age of 25 who are dominating the music industry in Hong Kong right now. Hong Kong singers, JC, Jinny Ng, Lil’ Ashes, Stephanie Ho and Lilian Chan are on the list. Taking a look at the Spotify data, Eighteen-year- old Canadian singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes tops the list, boasting 25 million Spotify listeners each month and over 500 million streams of his breakout smash, Stitches. Following Shawn Mendes at the top of the list are: Ariana Grande, Martin Garrix, Justin Bieber and Alessia Cara.
To determine the 25 under 25 list, music experts at Spotify looked at a variety of factors such as the number of people listening to an artist each month on Spotify, artists with songs featured in Spotify’s top playlists and top-performing artists by genre.
The top 25 list also includes newcomers bursting onto the scene, such as JC. JC dropped her first single earlier this year, claiming over more than a million streams on Spotify proving to everyone that age is just a number. Jinny Ng has made a name for herself with the song “Love Is Not Easy”, the theme song of TV drama Line Walker. JC and Jinny are definitely ready to rock the local music industry. Also included are mainstays Eric Chou, BTS, and DEAN.
“These young artists have broken boundaries and are certainly leading global culture regardless of age, making an impact across the world with their creativity and music. We are excited to see music from all over the world – international, regional and local – resonate amongst our Spotify users here in Hong Kong. With so many young listeners on Spotify, it’s always fascinating to hone in on the peer artists they’re listening to and looking up to,” said Chee Meng, Tan, Director of Label Relations, Spotify, APAC.
Listen to Spotify’s 25 Under 25 Playlist here.
Spotify’s 25 Under 25 (Hong Kong Edition):
- Shawn Mendes: Shawn Mendes started out posting six-second Vine clips of himself singing covers, and now, at 18, the singer-songwriter from Toronto fills major venues and attracts an impressive 25 million Spotify listeners each month. Mendes’ sophomore album, Illuminate, dropped in September and multiple tracks are popping on Spotify, with notable standout, “Treat You Better,” on track to give Mendes’ breakout smash “Stitches” (500 million plus streams) a run for its money. Here’s a conversation we had with Shawn Mendes recently.
- Ariana Grande: Ariana Grande might not be a dangerous woman in the criminal sense, but her music slays. Multiple tracks from the 23-year-old singer’s latest album became instant hits; “Dangerous Woman” and “Into You” have both clocked more than 200 million streams each, and “Side to Side” (with Nicki Minaj), is a top 10 song on Spotify’s global chart. Did we also mention Grande has 27 million monthly listeners? Ok, maybe she is dangerous.
- Martin Garrix: Having reached EDM stardom at the age of 17 thanks to several bombastic remixes, Dutch artist Martin Garrix, now 20, is at the top of his game. Garrix’ banger, “In The Name of Love,” is tearing it up on Spotify’s “Today’s Top Hits” playlist. With 21 million monthly listeners, Garrix is comfortable hanging out as one of Spotify’s top twenty most popular artists of all time. Garrix just released a new single, “Make Up Your Mind,” on October 21st.
- Justin Bieber: Justin Bieber has been on a hot streak since his comeback Diplo/Skrillex collaboration “Where Are Ü Now” dropped in early 2015. With follow-up monster solo hits that just keep coming at us, like “Love Yourself,” “What Do You Mean?” and “Sorry” – which have all passed the 700 million streams mark – there’s just no stopping the Biebs. Bieber’s collaboration with Major Lazer and MØ, “Cold Water” is currently streaming more than 2.5 million times a day.
- Alessia Cara: Alessia Cara might have made a name for herself with a song about her disdain for teen parties, but the party has definitely arrived for this talented 20-year-old from Ontario, Canada. Since the success of “Here,” Spotify’s most viral song in the U.S. last year (and #5 globally), the R&B singer has attracted more than 13 million monthly listeners. Cara’s track, “Scars to Your Beautiful,” is a favorite in our “Today’s Top Hits” playlist at the moment.
- Charlie Puth: With a whopping 20 million monthly listeners on Spotify, singer-songwriter Charlie Puth is one of the top players in pop music today. He gained worldwide recognition for the Wiz Khalifa song “See You Again” which Puth wrote, produced and sang on. His duets with leading ladies like Meghan Trainor (“Marvin Gaye”) and Selena Gomez (“We Don’t Talk Anymore”) turned to pop gold, with the latter seeming to have taken up permanent residency on our global charts.
- Fifth Harmony: This all-girl R&B group needs no introduction; more than 16 million Spotify listeners stream Fifth Harmony’s infectious tracks each month. The fun, flirty jam “Work From Home” has racked up more than half a billion listens and was a playlist staple over the summer in the U.S. and UK (much like “Worth It” from the year before), and current favorite “All In My Head (Flex)” (featuring Fetty Wap) has flexed some serious muscle on our charts.
- Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee Steinfeld’s latest track, “Starving,” is taking off, with more than 160 million streams and a confident sojourn up Spotify’s global chart. It’s safe to say the track solidifies the 19-year-old oscar-nominated actress as a top pop artist, following on from last year’s breakout single “Love Myself” (210 million streams). Steinfeld, who also starred as one of the Bardon Bellas in the accapella-celebrating movie “Pitch Perfect 2,” has 17 million monthly listeners which, I think we can all agree, is aca-astounding.
- Flume: Australian deejay/producer Flume just picked up 11 nominations for Australia’s Grammy-equivalent awards show, the ARIA’s, and is touring Europe and the U.S. to support his excellent sophomore album, Skin. Currently, Spotify listeners can’t get enough of Flume’s latest hits “Say It” (feat. Tove Lo) and “Never Be Like You” (feat. Kai). With 13 million monthly listeners, Flume (real name Harley Edward Streten), is one of the top EDM artists on the scene.
- Zara Larsson: After winning a TV talent show in her native Sweden at age ten, Zara Larsson disappeared for a while, grew up a bit, honed her singing chops, then made it her mission to tear up the world stage of pop music. Mission accomplished: monster tracks “Never Forget You” (385 million streams) and “Lush Life” (485 million streams) feature Larsson, now 18, as a genre-bending artist, blending pop, EDM and even a little hip-hop. Larsson attracts a whopping 18 million monthly listeners and her current track, “Aint My Fault,” is killing it on our “Today’s Top Hits” playlist.
- Desiigner: When his track “Panda” took off earlier this year, hip-hop artist Desiigner established himself as the breakout star of 2016. That song is now approaching half a billion streams. Signed to Kanye West’s record label G.O.O.D. Music, the 19-year-old from Brooklyn, is now scaling our charts with the track, “Timmy Turner,” and all told, Desiigner (whose real name is Sidney Royel Selby III), attracts more than 13 million monthly listeners on Spotify.
- Selena Gomez: Selena Gomez shed the last remnants of her children’s TV star past with the release of her sultry, coming-of-age album, Revival. With multiple songs surpassing 200 million streams like “Hands to Myself,” “Same Old Love” and “Good For You” (currently at about 330 million streams), Gomez, 24, is now one of the leading ladies of pop music. She averages 2.5 million streams a day and listeners are besotted with her current collaboration with Charlie Puth, “We Don’t Talk Anymore.”
- Halsey: Many Spotify listeners have followed pop singer Halsey’s career with great interest over the last couple of years, streaming her awesome track, “New Americana,” some 130 million times. But it’s her guest spot on the world’s biggest hit of the moment, The Chainsmokers’ “Closer” that brought Halsey’s stunning voice to the masses. Her solo music now averages 1.5 million streams a day, yet it feels like the 22-year-old from New Jersey is only just getting started.
- Demi Lovato: Demi Lovato commanded everyone’s attention with her assertive, no holds-barred album,Confident, which produced the mega title track as well as last year’s summer standout, “Cool for The Summer” (180M streams). Listeners are also embracing Lovato’s sultry track, “Body Say,” in a big way. Overall, the 24-year-old singer-songwriter attracts 10 million monthly listeners.
- Cheat Codes: When Los Angeles electronic trio Cheat Codes released the song “Sex” earlier this year, it resonated in a big way with listeners in Spotify’s “New Music Friday” playlist. The track borrows from Salt N Peppa’s 1990 hit “Let’s Talk About Sex” and has amassed more than 320 million streams. Cheat Codes averages 15 million monthly users and right now listeners are into the track “Let Me Hold You (Turn Me On)” featuring Dante Klein.
- BTS: This seven-member South Korean boy band are not only known for their musical talent but also for their large social media presence, and were named by Forbes as the most retweeted artist on Twitter in March 2016. However, let’s not forget where their prowess is built on; their lead hit single “Blood Sweat & Tears” from their second studio album (Wings) is fast becoming a fan favourite. It has gotten over 8 million streams since it was launched on Spotify.
- EXO: EXO is definitely a boyband that everyone looks out for. Short for Exoplanet, these heartthrobs are known for their unique mix of rap, hip-hop, rock, R&B and most importantly their choreography. The band has been one of the most popular subjects on the Internet ever since they debuted in 2012. Their latest single “Dancing King” has been bringing in the stream numbers since launch, as it is now shy from 3 million streams.
- BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK released their debut single album Square One followed by their second single album Square Two. Although, a recent newcomer to the industry, BLACKPINK definitely crushed any misconception anyone had about them. As, their (debut) hit singles – “Whistle” and “Boombayah” – secured the top positions on the BillboardWorld Digital Songs chart. They were fastest act to do so, and the third Korean artist to hold such spots. We don’t see this band slowing down anytime soon.
- Eric Chou: We should be grateful to Eric’s mother for insisting that he take up classical piano. From there, this young accomplished artist found his passion in composing his own songs, whilst capturing the raw emotions of life. His second album What Love Has Taught Us… carries one of his proudest work “Let’s Not Be Friends in The Future”; from being picked as the OST for a prominent Taiwanese drama to being one of his most streamed songs on Spotify.
- DEAN: Having written chart toppers for K-Pop boy bands such as EXO, Block B and VIXX, DEAN has definitely proven himself as a successful hit song maker. Earlier this year, he dropped his EP, 130 Mood: TRBL, with notable standout hits such as “Pour Up” and “D (Half Moon)”. With such successes under his belt, it is no surprise that he performed during SXSW2016 in Texas this Spring, a first for an Asian artist, followed by performing at K-CON in Los Angeles.
- JC: JC officially dropped her first single, “說散就散”, earlier this year. In a short span, the single has garnered over one million streams, making this her most popular song for the year. JC’s hit single can be found on 悲傷釋放and 情歌不敗 playlists.
- Jinny Ng: Jinny Ng is no stranger in the industry as she rose to fame in 2014. During which she performed several theme songs and hosted TV programs for TVB. From being recognized for her accomplishment for “Love Is Not Easy” to dropping her latest single, “The Last Breakup” for the TV series Between Love & Desire, Jinny is definitely carving niche within the industry.
- Lil’ Ashes: Lead vocalist Pollie and musician Jonathan have long since made a name in the indie scene under the Acoustic Pop genre and had released their first album Be Little in 2014. They released their single “飛吧！獨角仙” in 2015, once again sending positive energy to Hong
Kong fans. Their second album A Little Louder was dropped recently. The response to their latest album has been overwhelmingly positive, with two of the singles – “瞎子摸象” and “嗚” – being a favourite amongst Spotify users.
- Stephanie Ho: From golfing professionally to acting to singing, Stephanie Ho is definitely a multitalented individual who continues to push boundaries. “愛需要勇氣” is her latest single for the TVB drama Dead Wrong and is slowly making its way up on Spotify. While, “最真心一對”, the theme song for Over Run Over, which was dropped earlier this year has gained over 600 thousand streams on Spotify, making it her most popular hit on the platform.
- Lillian Chan: Lillian made her solid entrance into the Hong Kong music industry in 2013, when her unique, powerful vocal capabilities placed her in first place at the EEG Singing Contest. Her strong performance as a newcomer was followed by her second EP release Out of the Blue in May 2016. This album was a bid a farewell to her rookie status. Her 4-track EP includes hits such as “Ah Oh” – an encouraging, easygoing pop song showcasing Lillian’s vocal and rapping ability. While, “二見不合” – a sequel to her debut single “第一眼”; “少女時代” – is all about the realization of love’s harsh realities; and “出手”– a rock-love ballad that proves that being mature is all about letting go even it means losing out. We know Lillian is not losing out in anything at the moment as she continues to wow us with the talent.