Sydney’s premier place to play, The Star, is this month celebrating the momentous milestone of turning 21.
Since opening its doors in October 1995, The Star has been a leading entertainment destination in Sydney and has seen more than 159 million guests walk through its doors, including the likes of megastars Tom Jones, Brad Pitt, Elton John and Bon Jovi.
Over the past 21 years, The Star has been an entertainment hub for the city of Sydney, becoming the go-to destination for foodies who want to dine at some of Australia’s best restaurants, sports lovers who are after the live action of the season’s best matches, luxurious accommodation and of course seeing some of the best bands, singers and musical acts the world has to offer.
To celebrate 21 fabulous years, The Star is inviting Sydneysiders to come play and take advantage of the multiple offers across its restaurants, bars and entertainment precincts. Kicking off October birthday celebrations, The Star has offered 21 chances to win 21 new VW Golfs.
Good Food Month offers good times with special offers and one-off dining experiences including the Long Table Lunch on Sky Terrace rooftop bar, a tasting menu from two of Melbourne’s top chefs at the Ezard and Gunn Show dinner, the Sokyo Breakfast Showcase, plus much more. More fabulous 21 dining offers are taking place over October at The Star from the $21 cocktail and lobster rolls at Sky Terrace to 21 per cent off dinner at Harvest Buffet every Monday night.
Celebrate Spring Racing in style with a fabulous trifecta of dining, live action and celebration for Melbourne Cup. Pop your cork and celebrate post races over the course of Sydney Spring Carnival with $99 bottles of Moet & Chandon.
No birthday should pass by without being pampered at The Darling Spa. Enjoy a glass of Chandon on arrival before moving onto a Dry Body Brushing treatment, Oil Aroma Massage and ESPA Purifying Facial, all for $210.
To find out how to celebrate with The Star, visit www.star.com.au/21
In celebration of 21 fantastic years, we have compiled 21 fun facts about The Star Sydney.
21 fun facts about The Star
1. The Star has 178 team members who have worked at The Star from day one. After 21 years, The Star has grown to more than 4,500 team members.
2. At the opening of The Star, mega stars Tom Jones, KD Lang, Air Supply, Kenny G, Michael Crawford and Diana Ross performed.
3. At Astral hotel, The Star has made up 5,940,000 beds. To make the beds, 12,616,000 sheets have been used, 6,308,000 doona covers and 25,220,000 pillow cases.
4. More than 1 million decks of cards have been shuffled.
5. More than 1.1 million cars have been valet parked by concierge, with an average of 54,865 cars per year.
6. Two of the world’s biggest performers Elton John and Bon Jovi have performed at the Lyric Theatre.
7. The Star has given 16,357 massages since the opening of The Darling Spa.
8. The Star has 18,000 uniforms available for its team members on any given day.
9. More than 1,149,750 towels have been handed out at The Astral Health Club.
10. One of the world’s biggest bands, Coldplay, performed at the Event Centre in 2014.
11. The Star letters in front of the building have been decorated more than 26 times for celebrations such as the Footy Finals, Lunar New Year, the visit of the Blue Man Group and World Cup Soccer – thousands of people have had their photo taken at the famous landmark.
12. In 2015, The Star partnered with Chris O’Brien Lifehouse committing to donate $1.5 million over three years. The funds donated thus far have assisted in securing a new piece of technology –the da Vinci Xi Surgical Robot – one of the most advanced surgical robots in the world and voted number one in the 2015 list of the most awesome products[i],
13. At the Dally M’s, 70 members of the Banquets Team served 670 guests in a speedy time of three minutes (the duration of a commercial break).
14. During the 2015 ARIA Awards, The Star welcomed One Direction, Katy Perry, 80 of Australia’s top musical talents, 370 VIPs, 26 presenters, 270 guests and more than 250 screaming fans.
15. One lucky winner won the biggest jackpot ever at The Star of $2,495,425 in September 2015.
16. The Star has served over 1,394,988 freshly shucked oysters while our guests popped open over 927,276 bottles of champagne.
17. With the help of SoapAid, The Star has sent more than 950kg of soap to Northern India, Africa and Fiji.
18. The Star donated more than 200kg of oyster shells to OceanWatch Australia to restore marine habitat utilising wasted oyster shells to help combat marine habitat degradation.
19. The Star Culinary Institute delivers more than 11 master classes to its students, including bread, chocolate, olive oil tastings, all things Christmas, truffles, Australian produce, seafood and multiple butchery and pastry – all onsite at The Star Sydney.
20. The Star has received more than 6,362,244 calls to reserve any of the hotels, restaurants or The Darling Spa over the past 21 years.
21. The Star has won more than 175 awards, including Gourmet Traveller 2016 Restaurant of the Year for Momofuku Seiōbo, Health Club and Spa Facilities of the Year for The Darling Spa (TAA NSW Award for Excellence) and Specialty Event Venue for The Star Event Centre (National MEA Awards).