Globetrotters in Hong Kong are the most frequent travelers in the Asia Pacific region.MasterCard is keen to share more updates with Hong Kong travelers. Our trio of recommended mobile apps, gadgets, and websites is geared towards the savvy traveler, helping you to save time and avoid hassle during planning.
Before You Go
With holiday season in full swing, pack your digital suitcase and get ready to take off! Prior to departure, below is our handy guide to online payment tools and mobile travel apps which you can rely on:
- Utilize your MasterPass – With expansion of MasterPass acceptance, travelers around the world can now check out quickly and securely at several transits and travel retailers. Tourists in Asia Pacific can use MasterPass for travel purchases made with Singapore Airlines and Taiwan High Speed Rail, as well as leading online travel agent Zujiand Hong Kong Airport Express Line. See here for more MasterPass travel retailers in Hong Kong.
- Remember your flight details – Keeping such details to hand is never easy.WorldMate lets business travelers plan, book and manage travel details such as flights, hotels, and cars combined with travel itineraries and meetings.
- Book your accommodation – Not sure where to stay? Airbnb, which started out as a couch-surfing connection site, now connects tourists with rooms for hire in homes around the world.
Whether you’re vacationing at home or abroad, electronic commerce is an ideal way to pay. Here are some tips for while you are on the road:
- Find an ATM – Ever find yourself in desperate need of cash but do not know your way around a remote area or a new city? MasterCard’s Global ATM Locator allows you to find ATMs country by country – just type in your location and you will know where to go. If you are on the go, you can also check through your mobile with the MasterCard ATM Hunter iPhone appwhich finds ATMs around the world using your phone’s GPS. This means faster, safer and more convenient access to your money no matter where your travels take you.
- Find Wi-fi – Want to save mobile data while downloading apps, movies, music, or simply checking email?
Wifi Map helps you find over 2.1 million accessible Wi-Fi hotspot locations around the world.
- Find nearby merchants – Time is money. The MasterCard Nearby mobile app helps locate merchants that accept contactless payments whether you are traveling the world or staying close to home.
- Get directions – No data roaming? TripAdvisor’s Offline City Guides is a free mobile city guide stored in an app – no internet connection is required, so no racking up huge data charges.
- Break the language barrier – Have Fast Talk by Lonely Planet and Google Translate handy to help you break language barriers. Also, XE.com is a free currency calculator that can be used online or with an app, perfect when you are wondering how much that cool outfit costs in your own currency.
Travel with Peace of Mind
With rest, relaxation and fun on your mind, don’t forget to overlook safety during your journey. Here are four tips to ensure you get your overseas shopping done with ease and security:
- Notify your card issuing bank before you fly – Using your credit or debit card overseas might sometimes trigger a fraud alert resulting in your card being temporarily blocked for suspicious activity. So make it a point to alert your card issuing bank to your travel plans.
- Keep important contacts on hand – In the event that you do a trigger a fraud alert while making a legitimate purchase, or if, unfortunately, your card gets stolen, you wouldn’t want anyone else to use your card while you scramble to contact your bank to cancel the card. Be sure to prepare a list of international numbers of your financial institutions ahead of your trip. Go to www.mastercard.com, and look under Emergency Services.
- Use a Travel Prepaid card – Consider using a travel prepaid card as it helps you stay within your preloaded budget. If you are travelling to multiple countries, it also allows you to load multiple currencies on one card and is easily reloadable. The prepaid card also allows you to lock in exchange rates ahead of your trip. As if that is not enough, the card provides you access to cash at any ATM with the MasterCard Acceptance Mark worldwide.
- Keep tabs by keeping your receipts – Whether you are paying by card or cash, always request and keep a copy of your receipts. Be sure to check at the point of purchase that the amount charged is correct and it eventually tallies with your credit card statements. If a refund is necessary, you will not be caught without proof of purchase!
To get more safety and money tips for international travel, check out this quick video.
Still seeking more travel advice? Look no further than MasterCard Priceless Cities for more leisure inspiration which brings to life some of other cities’ best experiences through unique offers and privileged access.