Pacifica is a robust beach-front community, just 10 minutes south of San Francisco. The charming town and recreational playground is a dream destination for outdoor enthusiasts even during the cooler winter season.
Featuring everything from world-class surfing, mountain biking and hiking to fishing, scuba diving and hang gliding, Pacifica is an ideal getaway for anyone interested in spending their leisure time on a fresh outdoor vacation.
Interested in getting away? Here’s a Top Ten List of the most popular Pacifica attractions ~
- Surfing: -Pacifica is home to some of Northern California’ best surfing beaches, including Linda Mar State Beach, Rockaway Beach and Sharp Park Beach.
- Biking:– Pacifica is known in the bike community for its network of trails that overlook the Pacific Ocean. Whether pedaling a road bike or mountain biking, Pacifica features everything from leisurely rides along the paved coastal trail or ascending the flanks of Montara Mountain, towering 2000 feet above Pacifica.
- Hiking: -There are over a dozen trails spanning many miles of ocean view treks for beginners to the most advanced. From the leisurely Mori Point coastal walk to the more advanced terrain of Sweeney Ridge, there is a hike for every level of fitness.
- Fishing: – Some of the best fishing in the United States can be found in the inshore waters off Pacifica. In addition to salmon, striped bass often frequent the surf along with kingfish, sharks and perch. Although rare, sturgeon, barracuda and bonito frequent the coastal waters of Pacifica.
- Crabbing: Pacifica Pier is the only place in the Bay Area where the public can crab for free. During the winter, Dungeness crab, which are not available elsewhere in the Bay Area, are abundant off the pier; in the spring, catch perch at Linda Mar Bay; in the fall, go rock fishing off Pedro Point.
- Scuba Diving: Linda Mar Beach is an intermediate-to-advanced beach entry scuba-dive site with a diverse aquatic life, such as seals, fish and rays. In May and June, halibut come into Linda Mar Bay, which attracts many divers spearfishing for this prize fish. At Pedro Point, two wrecks lie on the ocean’s bottom in approximately 30 to 40 feet of water.
- Golf: Sharp Park Golf Course is located just off the Pacific Coast Highway at the intersection of Sharp Park Road and Francisco Boulevard. The famous golf architect Alister Mackenzie designed the 18-hole course.
- Archery: San Francisco Archers is a non-profit organization that promotes archery at all levels of ability and age. The club is open to the public every day.
- Segway Tours: The many well-maintained and level trails along Pacifica’s beautiful beaches lend themselves to Segway rides. Begin your ride at Rockaway Beach and the trail wends through a rock quarry to climb up 12 scenic switchbacks over Pacifica’s Strawberry Hill to Linda Mar Beach and beyond.
- Beaches: Pacifica features seven miles of spectacular Pacific Ocean beaches that are perfect for a whole range of recreation, including Linda Mar Beach,
Rockaway Beach, Sharp Park Beach and Mussel Rock Beach
At the end of action-filled days in Northern California’s coastal playground, visitors will want to enjoy one of Pacifica’s many popular restaurants before laying down for a quiet night’s sleep. Recommendations for dining and accommodations are listed below:
A Grape in the Fog: (650) 735-5854/www.agitf.com
Moonraker: (650) 557-7025/www.moonrakerpacifica.com
Nick’s Seashore Restaurant: (650) 359-3903/www.nicksrestaurant.net
Puerto 27: (650) 733-7343/www.puerto27.com
Surf Spot: (650) 355-7873/www.surfspoteats.com
America’s Best Value Inn Pacifica: (877) 784-6835/www.pacifica-bestvalueinn.com
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel: (650) 355-6300/www.bestwesternlighthouse.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: (650) 355-5000/www.hiexpresspacifica.com
Pacifica Beach Resort: (650) 355-9999/www.pacificabeachhotel.com
Pacifica Motor Inn: (800) 522-3772/www.pacificamotorinn.com
Sea Breeze Motel at Rockaway Beach: (650) 359-3903