TrRipadvisor Data Reveals the Cheapest Times for Aussies to Book Hotels Overseas To Escape the Cold This Winter
TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced its “Best Time to Book” report, revealing the least expensive times to book hotels for overseas travel between June to August in popular destinations around the globe, based on TripAdvisor hotel booking and meta click data1.
Aussie travellers can discover significant savings and enjoy a holiday abroad in warmer climates during winter at a fraction of the price. The research showed that the best time periods to book can vary depending on the region or city where the traveller is looking to visit during summer and that for most destinations, the hotel rates change gradually over time, without dramatic increases or decreases in price.
For example, the least expensive time to book U.S. hotels is within 2 months of the mid-year trip but hotel prices remain fairly consistent throughout the year, with a relatively modest potential savings of 7% when booking during the least expensive time period. For European hotels, the best time to book for the northern hemisphere summer is between 3 – 5 months ahead when travellers can save 23% compared to the most expensive booking period. In Asia, the least expensive time to book hotels is within 3 months, when travellers can save 23% compared to the peak travel period.
“The cost of taking a holiday quickly adds up and many Australians opt for destinations where their dollar goes further or they can swap the winter chill for a second summer,” said Joanne Kershaw, TripAdvisor spokesperson. “Our report shows there are can be significant savings to be gained if you know when to book. Travellers can use TripAdvisor’s insights to cost-effectively book their next interstate or international holiday.”
TripAdvisor analysed hotel booking and interest in nine popular regions around the world for the months of June, July and August. Below is the breakdown of potential savings for nine world regions when comparing the least expensive to most expensive times to book hotels.
Best Time to Book Hotels in World Regions
- U.S. hotel rates consistent but travellers can save by booking within 2 months – U.S. hotel pricing remains fairly steady throughout the year, but those booking within 2 months of their trip can save 7% on their hotel.
- Plan for longer lead times when booking hotels in Europe – Travellers looking to visit Europe should plan to book their hotel rooms 3-5 months ahead to save 23% versus the peak booking period for the region.
- Best value for Asia hotels when booked within 3 months – Travellers can save 23% versus peak pricing by booking a hotel within three months of the trip. Asia prices rise slightly 3-5 weeks ahead, before seeing the lowest prices within the final two weeks before the travel date.
- South Pacific savings unlocked when booked within 5 months – For Aussies looking to travel close to home, they can save 19% or more per night by booking within 5 months of their travel date.
- Within 4 months is best for the Caribbean – Booking within 4 months is the sweet spot for Caribbean hotels when travellers can save 7% compared to the peak pricing periods.
- Modest savings in Central America within 3 months – Booking a hotel within three months of the trip is the most cost-effective approach for Central America, when travellers can save 7% compared to peak periods.
- Within 4 months is ideal for South America – Travellers heading to South America can find 20% savings by booking within 4 months of the trip. For those willing to wait, they can save an additional 2-4% by booking within the last few weeks before the travel date.
- Within 4 months is best for Middle East – For those planning a Middle East trip, the optimal booking period is within 4 months when travellers can get 24% savings. Prices increase slightly during weeks 3-4 before dropping again for last minute deals within a couple weeks of the travel date.
- Wide booking window for African hotels – Travellers booking a hotel in Africa can save 21% when booking within 5 months of the trip. Hotel rates rise slightly between 3-5 weeks ahead, before dropping during the last two weeks before the travel date.
More information on the best time to book hotels in 25 popular world cities for overseas travel to warmer climates during the Australian winter months can be found in the accompanying supplement.
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel site*. Travellers can read millions of reviews and opinions and book their next trip at:www.tripadvisor.com.