TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for museums around the globe as well as top tips from contributors for visiting museums.
In total, 591 winners were identified, including the top 25 in the world and dedicated lists for Asia, Canada, Europe, India, South America, South Pacific, the U.K. and the U.S. The awards are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for museums around the world, gathered over a 12-month period.
“Honouring nearly 600 institutions worldwide, the Travellers’ Choice awards have recognised the favourite museums that serve as cultural treasure troves for our community of millions,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “These world-class museums provide an enriching experience that can be both inspiring and educational for travelers around the globe.”
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Museums in the World
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York City, New York
- Musee d’Orsay – Paris, France
- Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
- Museo Nacional del Prado – Madrid, Spain
- Musee du Louvre – Paris, France
- State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace – St. Petersburg, Russia
- National Gallery – London, England
- The Rijksmuseum (National Museum) – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Vasa Museum – Stockholm, Sweden
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia) – Mexico City, Mexico
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Museums in Asia
- The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Xi’an, China
- War Remnants Museum, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, Hiroshima, Japan
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Hong Kong Museum of History, Hong Kong, China
- The Palace Museum, Beijing, China
- Vietnam Museum of Ethnology, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Vietnamese Women’s Museum, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Hellfire Pass Museum, Kanchanaburi, Thailand
- Islamic Arts Museum, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Five Tips for Visiting Museums from TripAdvisor Contributors:
- When visiting the City of Light, a “Paris Museum Pass” can be a good value if visiting several sights per day and will allow quicker entry at most places including the Musee d’Orsay. – TripAdvisor member innaMontreal.
- Check opening hours. Many larger museums are open late at night at least once a week and there tend to be fewer visitors in the evening. – TripAdvisor member Mez3000
- Sign up with each of the museums that interest you. They’ll send regular newsletters about upcoming and current exhibits. Some of the exhibits that tour the country are world-class and worth the extra entry fee. – TripAdvisor memberAynat62
- If you’re going to the museum with kids, go early, and do something fun like a scavenger hunt to make it interesting for them. – TripAdvisor member ziggy60
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring extra money. There may be things you want to do that were unexpected, like getting tickets to the IMAX theaters or planetarium (at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C.), and gift shop items. – TripAdvisor member 67karen
For the complete list of winners from the 2015 Travellers’ Choice Museums, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos, go to: www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Museums.